_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Spray on Snow for diorama
USMarine
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 475 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 04:28 PM UTC
Hey

Xmas is nearly here and i saw in a magazine that a shop was selling snow in a can that you spray on your Xmas tree or windows and i was wondering if it can be used in dioramas and how good would it be.

cheers
matt
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 04:59 PM UTC
If it doesnt rip all of the peices off your diorama while spraying it, itll probobly out of scale.
FLASH
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 109 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 05:49 PM UTC
Only one way to find out. Give it a go and let us know how it goes.

Cheers
Lee

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2005 - 09:34 AM UTC
We call it flocking here in the states. It is way out of scale for 35th armor. Woodland scenics makes some snow powder for model train lyouts that is just perfect. If you can't get it in your part of the world, you can easily mail-order it from some large hobby mail order house here.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2005 - 10:04 AM UTC
Have to agree with Blaster76. The spray snow will be way overscale. The best product is the Woodland Scenics Snow. It comes out looking great.
Salvo
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
entire network: 311 Posts
KitMaker Network: 98 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2005 - 10:15 AM UTC
I used the scenic snow from Gamesworkshop and have to say I was impressed. Here is a picture:

harrier1
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 613 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 04:32 AM UTC
Hi Salvo was that the powder stuff that comes in a tub that you got from Games Workshop. If so could you tell me how you use it as i have seen it in my local model shop. If not what was it!!! . Cheers Nick :-)
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 04:40 AM UTC
I think the Games Workshop snow and the Woodlans Scenics Snow are basically the same thing. It is called Micro Balloons, they are tiny spheres of styrene. To apply it, you lay down some adhesive, then sprinkle it on. I use pump hairspray as the adhesive. For thicker areas, simply continue adding layers till it is as thick as you want it. For drifts, build up the area with some foam first, then put on the snow. Pretty easy and comes out looking great.

I used the WS brand here:
Salvo
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
entire network: 311 Posts
KitMaker Network: 98 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 04:57 AM UTC
Nick,

Yes it is the stuff that comes inthe tub. It's different than micro balloons. It is almost like a white color static grass, except much finer. I basically painted the base and then sprayed the base with a combination of water and pva glue. I then applied the "Snow" and then blew off the excess. The results can be seen above.

Cheers,
Salvo
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 05:11 AM UTC
I've seen three different brands of artifial snow here in Finland. Woodland scenics, games workshop, and andrea. Andrea snow was in a small bag, but it felt surprisingly heavy, I presume it's those micro balloons.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 05:30 AM UTC
The WS Snow microballoons weigh nothing. They are hollow spheres, hence balloons. No idea on the Andrea product, but they sound the same as the GW snow to me. I'm sure either will work great.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 04:38 AM UTC
You say that is tiny pieces of styrene plastic, not something like Styrofoam put in a blender, then churned up real fine, cause I know if you look at Styrofoam real close, it looks like it is tiny little balls stuck together.

What I was wondering, if I can find my blender, when I stored everything out of the way I don't use, if it can chop it up into fine looking snow like that, has anybody ever tried anything like this?

Kerry
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 10:28 AM UTC
It would sound like it would work, but I don't think the styrofoam will cut up any finer than the individual pieces. They scale out to be the size of snowballs you would throw at someone. You really want to go with the powder. It even has a slight glisten to it much like real snow. Besides, that styrofoam gets into everything and may ruin the blender or make it unsuitable for food use.
USMarine
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 475 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 07:57 PM UTC
ive decided to go for the woodland scenics now because my hobby store is selling it cheap now so cheers fo the advice.
 _GOTOTOP