Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Advice on my career
Smeagol
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 135 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 08:15 AM UTC
Ok, seems your all servicemen or ex-serviceman, i'd like to ask some advice. I am nearly 15 and thinking about a career, would you advice joining the army, navy or airforce or non at all. Thanks

P.S my parents don't wqant me to join but what the hey...
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
entire network: 1,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 188 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 08:28 AM UTC
Hellow Sam,
First, I´m a Navy Officer.
Big decision you´re taking now...As for your parents, just choose your carreer and they´ll support you, like it or not (happened to me . About what service, I obviously recommend the Navy, but you have to visit, if possible, units of each service in UK and ask for directions directly to the servicemen, I´m sure they will be more than happy to share their experiences and feelings with a young boy like you. But first of all, you have to know how much you love your country, if you shriver everytime you see your national ensign or listen your national anthem, and are willing to serve in a disciplined, hard but friendly enviroment, the military, any service, it´s your choice.
Good luck, now you´re deciding your way to live the rest of your life
Best Regards
Davester444
Visit this Community
entire network: 850 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 09:04 AM UTC
I know some schools in this country can get in touch with army liason officers so you can find out more about what life is like in the army and what branch of service to join. I know my school was visited by one a few weeks ago, and everyone who was thinking of joining the army got an interview with him to find out whatever they wanted to know, and got some booklets with more information. If your school has someone in charge of careers advice (it probably does) this is probably the person you want to talk to first.

Dave
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 751 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2005 - 02:56 AM UTC
Sam,
I have been in the military since I was 17. I am 36 now. The military has alot to offer. It can be very difficult and challenging. It has required great personal sacrifice but at the same time has given me great satisfaction, pride, and direction. I have spent over a year on a ship and many many more ground pounding and operating armored vehicles. Which ever branch you choose, you will both love and hate, but you will succeed. Be sure you think long and hard about your desicion and talk to people who have been there and done that. Good luck with your desicion Sam
Smeagol
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2005 - 07:14 AM UTC
Ok thanks alot. that helped ever such alot.
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
entire network: 970 Posts
KitMaker Network: 160 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2005 - 07:38 AM UTC
Sam, I'm currently serving in the RN so feel free to ask me any questions you like about the Senior Service! I know for a fact that there are serving members of both the Army and RAF who post here regularly, and I expect they'd be happy to do the same for their respective Services.

Also, all the advice given above in this thread is good.

Whatever you finally choose as a career, best of luck with it
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 289 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2005 - 09:27 AM UTC
My advice, don't be in to much of a hurry to grow up. I'm 45 going on 90. Each day I wake up is a blessing. I lived fast, I lived hard, I've been to 26 countries and my body doesn't have a spot in it that doesn't ache. I did everything that my parents said NOT to do and paid out nearly two million dollars in child support that I could have used.

I'm not saying don't smell the roses, I'm just saying, don't smell the roses going 90 mph at the end of a bungie cord. Take your time and enjoy being young, stay in school and work with your mind, not your body or you could end up burning out like I did.
Smeagol
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 06:44 AM UTC
Thanks alot all, good advice JBoilard, i think i'll take it

Thanks.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 04:20 AM UTC
Sam,
You have more than enough time to decide. At 15, you should worry less about joining the military and more about just enjoying this point in your life. Adulthood will come soon enough, the military isn't going anywhere. In regards to your parents, you should respect their viewpoint, but in the end, the choice of joining the military is yours and yours alone. As far as which branch, that too is your choice. Each of us from our respective branch will tell you our branch is the best, but in the end, it will boil down to what you want.

When the time comes, and should you decide to join, I'll welcome you among the brotherhood. Just remember, this is a big big decision. Just make the choice that's right for you.

As my kids would say "Ok, Dad's lecture is finished."

Steve Arthur
US Army Military Police 1982-86
USAR Armored Cav 1986-89

Sam , if you ever have a question, please don't be afraid to ask. Just PM me...you know where to find me.