TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
What to do
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 1,281 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 11:04 AM UTC

Hi all

As i have had great feed back in the past with certain posts ...here i go again.
I have to make a decision about our futures i have been offered a job in Utah as i mentioned in a previous post as a Senior Wilderness Instructor working with young people who have lost direction and have been in throuble with the Police ..etc.
I did this years ago in Arizona..after Pams illness i feel it would be a new start for both of us with my deep interest in Native Americans,nature and the out doors,iand getting out of the bloody rat race has got to be good.
The people seem really great to work with very grounded and a real passion for what they do.
Its almost that at 47 i really want to do some thing that will make a difference and to effect some change in other lives .
I know really which way to go but would value soom feed back.
Cheers Chris and Pam
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 08:35 AM UTC
Go with your heart is about the only recommendation I could give. I'm 51 had been in the Army for a bit, got out went into distribution management. FOrced out do to massive lay-offs and can't get back in due to age competition. Decided, what the heck I'll try something completely different. enrolled in Paralegal school and am excited again. I was surprized by how well I did in the initail semester and how much sense it makes. This semester has been no less interesting but considerably more challenging. I wish I'ld discovered this 5 years ago instead of frittering my life away going nowhere.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 08:43 AM UTC
Chris, I think the big thing you have to consider now is how this move will sit with Pam. A major transiton like this can be very difficult and given the recent situation, you have to ask yourselves, "Is this the right time?z" How tied are the two of you to Delaware? Friends and relatives? What about the community and house? What about any on-going follow-up treatment she may be getting? Is there a therapist involved? Unlike some other dieases, this trype of treatment's success relies a lot on the relationship between the patient and the practitioner. Converesly, depending on what triggered the depression and if there was a major situational component, the change could be really good.
No real answer here, I guess, just more questions.
Good luck in this.
Al
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 09:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

you have to consider now is how this move will sit with Pam

I think this carries a lot of weight. Remember this: change is hard, even if it is a good change. Take your time and the two of you choose your course together. I hope all works out well for you and Pam.

Patrick
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 11:19 AM UTC
I am a firm believer that sometimes you've got to break out of your rut. So many times in the past I worked with people who seemed to hate their jobs, or their lives, yet all they did is complain. When I'd had enough I got out, and I've been happier than ever since. A friend of mine was in a similar position to you. After 9/11he felt compelled to give back to the community, left his job, took a pay cut, and went back to school so he could be a high school teacher. Last time I saw him he was happier than ever.

To me though the one overwhelming issue is Pam's health, and if the new company can provide health care benefits. As long as that isn't an issue then I would say go with what you think will give you the greatest joy.