_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Removing paint on models with PE
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 5,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 454 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 01:35 AM UTC
Hi all,

I want to repaint my Sherman Crab as I'm not fully satisfied with the results I've achieved now. I just want it to be perfect, especially for such an expensive model

Now I do seem to remember that there is a problem with muscle ovencleaner and PE....or am I wrong here?

So to keep it simple: can I use muscle ovencleaner to remove the paint from my Sherman Crab which has a lot of PE on it?

If not, what can I use instead?

Thanks,
Martin
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 01:48 AM UTC
Hi Martin

Have you tried automotive brake-fluid? I used it on a white metal figure, and it stripped him bare! I've also used in my darker days on civvie car models...

Rudi
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Martin

Have you tried automotive brake-fluid? I used it on a white metal figure, and it stripped him bare! I've also used in my darker days on civvie car models...

Rudi

Never heard of the product. Where could I buy it? Does it have a website (to find out what name it has in the Netherlands) ??

Thanks
Martin
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 02:21 AM UTC
it's just the Fliud you use for the Brakes of you're car....
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 02:43 AM UTC
Dutch people help me: do they mean remvloeistof?

newnikonian
Visit this Community
India / भारत
entire network: 279 Posts
KitMaker Network: 42 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 02:54 AM UTC
Like Rudi, My vote also is for Brake fluid. You can buy DOT 2 or DOT 4 oil. About half a lit should be enough to submerge the entire model. Even if it is not fully submerged you can just keep your model upside down for 1/2 an hour then repeat the process again. In some place if the paint has not been removed completely, use a soft old tooth brush. Take care. It is very easy to damage some delicate fittings.
NEVER TOUCH the OIL USE GLOVES always.
Dont drain in the sink. Dispose properly.
You can reuse the same oil for paint stripping. But it takes more time. First may be stripped in just 15 mins. But the 3rd and forth may take upto 1 hr. I use Laquer based. If it is acralycs than it should be faster. I stripped one of my model 4 times recently. It was during my learning process with airbrush. Unfortunately I never managed to finish that one. Ended up in the Bin.

I noticed this process softens super glue. So most of your PE parts may come loose if you have used super glue. so take care while draining. Use a mesh and funel to catch some loose parts, if any

Once you take the model out of the oil do not use water immediately until you made sure all the paint is removed. Because once you imerse the model in water the stripping action by the oil stops.

Check this link. http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/104-5552226-8382328?node=12991911

All the best.

Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 03:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Martin,

If I translate it to Afrikaans (which has a German & Dutch base) this sounds correct.

Dit klink korrek as ek die woord na Afrikaans vertaal...

Geluk

Rudi
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 03:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Martin,

If I translate it to Afrikaans (which has a German & Dutch base) this sounds correct.

Dit klink korrek as ek die woord na Afrikaans vertaal...

Geluk

Rudi

Bedankt / dank u / hartelijk dank

Sounds like how they speak Dutch in the north-east of the Netherlands :-) :-) :-)

Kommie ut Gruningen ufzo? (for the Dutch among us) :-)

Ok back to the paint removing:

Still nobody has anwsered this question:

Is it possible to use ovencleaner on PE parts?

Martin
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 03:17 AM UTC
i haven't actually tried it... but it should work.....

I'll paint a piece of brass..... and see if Superclean removes it..... if it does... I don't see why oven cleaner won't
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i haven't actually tried it... but it should work.....

I'll paint a piece of brass..... and see if Superclean removes it..... if it does... I don't see why oven cleaner won't

Well I can remember that ovencleaner is not good for some materials.....it makes the material melt/disappear or something like that, but I'm not sure which material.

I thought it was PE

Can anyone anwser that question for sure
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 03:24 AM UTC
Martin, I've used Mr Muscle oven cleaner on a resin and PE kit. No problems whatsoever. Worked really well.

Vinnie
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 03:27 AM UTC
Vinnie, you never disappointed me with any advice, this is the anwser I was looking for

Thanks all for the tips!

Now I am wondering....what do you guys/girls think is better to use and why?

Ovencleaner
Brake fluid

I only have experience with ovencleaner, this always worked really well (but it irritated your breathing, eyes, nose etc so only in well-ventilated rooms!)

Martin
BomTek
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 23 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 10:42 AM UTC
My question is, Will the brake fluid affect the plastic, especially since they are all petrolium based products? Model paint etches into the plastic or am I way off base here?
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 02:20 PM UTC
Brake fluid and Oven cleaner won't hurt the plastic. I have used both......alot, and have never had a problem. Just ensure that you have a means to recover any small parts that might come loose. I found out the hard way after a few of my figures heads and arms went down the drain! Now I use a fine mesh strainer to catch whatever may come lose from the light scrubbing for the more stubborn paint. Hope this helps. "Q"
grimreaper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 417 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 02:50 PM UTC
I just finished cleaning up a 50 year old ship kit of the Revell Hawaiian Pilot that I got on ebay. It was not assembled but was prepainted all with gloss paints.
I used Easy Off oven cleaner. It took off 99% of the old paint and left the plastic looking like brand new. Whatever you use be sure to wear a good pair of rubber gloves and eye protection.
Good luck,
Gary
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 08:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just finished cleaning up a 50 year old ship kit of the Revell Hawaiian Pilot that I got on ebay. It was not assembled but was prepainted all with gloss paints.
I used Easy Off oven cleaner. It took off 99% of the old paint and left the plastic looking like brand new. Whatever you use be sure to wear a good pair of rubber gloves and eye protection.
Good luck,
Gary

Yeah Ovencleaner is nasty stuff. Used it a lot already, works very well. But it's not good for you
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 08:26 PM UTC
Martin I for one would not use brake fluid on my models. I use oven cleaner on plastic, resin, clear parts, PE etc and it works the best for me. Just make sure you use a fine mesh sieve under your model when you wash it off as it will loosen some glues and this way you will not lose small parts dowe the drain.

cheers
Cliff
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 08:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Martin I for one would not use brake fluid on my models. I use oven cleaner on plastic, resin, clear parts, PE etc and it works the best for me. Just make sure you use a fine mesh sieve under your model when you wash it off as it will loosen some glues and this way you will not lose small parts dowe the drain.

cheers
Cliff

That sure is something not to forget

Thanks
Martin
grimreaper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 417 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2005 - 09:19 AM UTC
Hi All,
I just completed removing some paint off a few very old (painted in the early 60's) pieces that I put together and painted as a kid.
I tried the Castrol Super Clean.
It works really well and fast. And it doesn't have the toxic fumes that Easy Off has. Actually wrinkled some old gloss white paint right before my very eyes in only a matter of minutes. Another piece with flat white just desolved and disappeared into the bath of cleaner.
It does an excellent job. :-)
Good luck guys, hope this helps.
Gary
panic
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
entire network: 43 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2005 - 09:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brake fluid

Quoted Text

I have used both......alot, and have never had a problem.

Quoted Text

I found out the hard way after a few of my figures heads and arms went down the drain!

And the environment says: Thank You!

I would use Oven cleaner in a well ventilated place. It is alot more unproblematic in disposal.

Stefan

straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2005 - 06:49 AM UTC
There is something that I've been wondering about, back in the early 70's, I bought a Triumph spit fire car, and it was losing brake fluid, well everything was run off the brake fluid in that car, even the clutch had a slave cylinder.

Well none of the mechanics here knew anything about them, and nobody told me that they had to have a special brake fluid to put in them. Come to find out, after I overhauled all the cylinders including the masters to, on the whole car, then I found out, it needed British brake fluid, that American brake fluid would eat up all the seals.

So I was wondering, would British brake fluid be different to remove paint to, as our American brake fluid must be harsher, cause our fluid sure did eat up them seals in a hurry in their car, after I started to put American fluid in.

Does anybody from England know about this.

Kerry
 _GOTOTOP