_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
My new air-compressor
Blade26
Visit this Community
Kozani, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 364 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 11:53 PM UTC
Hi there to all!
I'm feeling real good today because i finally got my fully automatic,with pressure valve adjustment and a 24lt Tank (6 Gallons) to provide me with enough air to paint my models!
The Disadvantage is that it makes a lot of noice!But then again it only worked for 1' 45" and filled it up!
It has 2hp motor and with a simple adaptor i bought from a tool shop i adjusted my airbrush perfectly! I'm now ready to paint the 2nd colour to the Mi-24 Hind i have there sitting!!
Here's the photo!!
Have fun everyone!
Any posts would be welcome!!
Cheers!

EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 289 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 12:19 AM UTC
If you want some good advice, NEVER EVER EVER run that on an extension cord. Go straight to the plug in the wall. Don't ask why, just believe me. Buy longer hoses if need be.
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 12:22 AM UTC
Congratulations!

A small extra that could make a world of difference is a water and oil seperator. this is a small, in most cases in transparent plastic, filter that removes water and oil from the compressed air.

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 12:42 AM UTC
You can plug them into an extension cord...... but it's gotta be a 10 or12 guage one .... but Air hoses are the way to go........

I'm contemplating running a air line into the basement from out in my Garage (where my 30 gal compressor is) but it'll reqiure some digging and some conduit.....
Blade26
Visit this Community
Kozani, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 07:27 AM UTC
Thanks for posting guys!
I don't get why shouldn't i get an extention cord!
I have a multi plug in my wall plug and placed it there!
I have no other plugs that i could use!
My appartment is a rented one and it's a small one!
I do my modelling in the kitchen (on the table) and i have one plug for the fridge and all the other modelling stuff that i posses!
So the only way is a multi plug!
It only worked 2 times though!What problems may occure on it?You scared me a little bit!!
This is how it looks.

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 07:44 AM UTC
The longer the extension cord the higher the voltage drop..... which can cause blown fuses and not so good wear on the electric motor. It's a short one so you should be fine.......
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 289 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 02:28 AM UTC
I didn't want to get into to much explaination because of running the risk of missunderstandings and liabilities

What Matt said is true, but make sure that its ok with your compressors manufacterer. I know mine came with explicit instructions not to use extension cords. If your machine only draws ten amps or less there's a good chance that its fine. The shorter, the better using a 12 amp cord. If your machine is 13 amp, you stand a higher risk of fire via the cord, and if your cord doesn't smoke up first, you will be slowly burning out your electric motor on the compressor.

Do your homework on this one brotha!
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 10:04 AM UTC
Wow, I was completely clueless to this fact. Good thing I've not run my compressor on anything but direct to wall in my garage!
Blade26
Visit this Community
Kozani, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2005 - 03:45 AM UTC
Well i've done my homework as you said Easy and it turns out that the machine draws 7amp!Nowhere is mentioned not to use extention cords so i guess i'm fine with this one!
Thanks for your advices!!
Cheers!

:-)
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 09:09 PM UTC
Just thought Id add a little something to this debate about extension cables.
As people are correctly stating,,voltage drop occurs over the distance of a cables length.The longer the cable,the more the voltage drops.Consequently the current drawn (amps) increases.The cable gets hot,and so thicker cable is used for longer distances.

Yeah,,yeah,,,all technical I know,but theres one thing very important being left out of this discussion.
USA voltage is 110V AC whereas Europe and a many other areas of the world are 220-240V AC.
Consequently,,half the voltage = double the amperage.

In summary,,,voltage drop is a bigger issue in the USA than elsewhere.
In general household electrics,,which these small compressors are being used with,voltage drop isnt an issue.
A 1/4HP compressor pulls around 55 Watts,,which equates at 1/4 amp on a 220V system,,,1/2 amps on a 110V system.
About the same as a lightbulb .
 _GOTOTOP