_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Resin Casting
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 02:49 PM UTC
I tried to post this once and screwed it up somehow..... Anyway, I am interested in getting into resin casting. What are the minimum ingredients that I will need to purchase? After I acquire all of the ingredients, I will then try to figure it out; with you guys' help of course.

Patrick
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 05:15 PM UTC
There are plenty of folks here who resin cast who will be able to answer your questions but I'd like to point you to an article in the November 2002 issue of Fine Scale Modeler. There is a detailed article on the "how-to's" of resin casting. Good stuff in my opinion. Some model stores may still have a few back issues that you may be able to get your hands on. If not I think you can order them from FSM.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 06:12 PM UTC
Patrick... look through the articles and posts in the SCRATCHBUILDING forum.... tons of info on getting into resin casting there. As a quickie, it will cost you about $50-60 US to get started... be aware that it is very EXPENSIVE to do this unless you are going to use a LOT of pieces from any mold you make - such as floors, tile roofing, etc... these are things you can use lots of over the years. But if all you want is an extra pillar, or to duplicate a model part, it is far cheaper just to buy another piece already made. On the other hand, it is a ton of fun to cast your own items! Here is my "bare minimum" list...

1) 2 part resin - i recommend Alumilite ($29 for one quart of each)

2) RTV Silicon - recommendation here is BARE METAL foils TinSil 70/20 - doesn't require a release agent when pouring plaster or resin. $40 bucks for 2 lbs

3) Some trays to hold your moldings
Col_Kurtz
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2003 - 10:21 AM UTC
Go to the fine scale modeler website and go toFeature Stories. There is one article from every edition of the year. The novembers one is the basics of resin castings. Looks like you wont need to buy it lucky you.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2003 - 02:03 PM UTC
You can also go to a hobby/craft store and snoop the shelves. I know Michaels and AC Moores put the components in the same area. They will have the additional stuff like mold lubricant and trays and stirers if you want to go that route and get the extras.
 _GOTOTOP