_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Brand Newbie
jemstar555
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 12:43 AM UTC
Hi,

I am an utter newbie in the modelling world having only just purchased my first kit, a Tamiya 1/35 Kubelwagen.

My question to you guys is to do with space. I live in quite a small house with my wife and 3 young kids (aged 1 to 6) and I really don't have enough space to set up a dedicated modelling area.

I was wondering if anybody here is in a similar position and, if so, what do you do about it.

Obviously my main concern is for the kid's safety, I don't want to leave modelling tools and knives hanging around and I don't want them to have easy access to small parts that could lead to choking incidents.

Any ideas or advice would be most appreciated.

Many thanks.
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 167 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 12:58 AM UTC
Welcome to the big A,

I move around a lot in my job and some times i have to stay for a while. The best thing that i found is to use the larger fishing tackle boxes. They are great storage have the clear pull out closed cases lots of space and you can carry all your tools as well as any parts that you may accure as you go on. In the tops of the boxes you can carry your paints and the trays everything else. next time you go to your local sports store or out dood store look at one and just use your inmagination. Oh and the do not cost a lot. Even in my permentent shop I still use them. Good luck and enjoy!
esc71
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 222 Posts
KitMaker Network: 57 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 01:06 AM UTC
Hello and welcome. Maybe you could get a fishing tackle box to keep your tools and supplies in. It would be very mobile and some are lockable to keep the kiddies out. Then you could just work at the kitchen or dining table and take everything with you when your done. Plano makes several different shapes and sizes and are available at most retailers and sporting goods stores and I'd assume online. Hope this helps. Have fun with the Kubel.

Edit:
Looks like SGT.Busche and I are thinking and posting at the same time.
Cabela's

Model 1350 looks like it would do nicely. Pretty affordable too. You might want one with the handle on the top though so everything doesn't slide to the bottom when you pick it up.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 01:08 AM UTC
I place my modeling tools in a plastic tool box or fishing tackle box. Look at your local discount department store for them. In progress kits go into plastic shoe boxes that I get at the same place. They are normally clear plastic and cost around $1.

When done, set your stuff on the top shelf of a closet or other out of reach area.

If you click on my profile, it will take you to an article I wrote on a model maker's tool box.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,185 Posts
KitMaker Network: 224 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 01:10 AM UTC
Hello Steve, welcome to Armorama.
Go to an Army - Navy type surplus store and get yourself a locking footlocker, that will keep the little crumb snatching ankle biters out [ just kidding, got a 8 and 11 yr. old ] .
As you are just starting out you probabally don't have tons of stuff right now anyway. It will keep them from the nasty bits and save your work from being destroyed by the Kidzillas.
Cheyenne
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 01:58 AM UTC
Hello there..

I too had to find a way to work as I live in an apartment
and didn't have any extra rooms..

What I did was convert the closet off the living room
into a dedicated hobby room..

Its 4 foot by 3 foot and all it took to make it workable
was a Shop type roll around toolbox, a custom built
workbench surface and a few small organizers units
from wal-mart...

here is a pic..

of course this set up is not for clostrophobes.

works very well for me as i can leave stuff out and just
close the door and none of the 4 cats can get to anything to bother it..

Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,185 Posts
KitMaker Network: 224 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 02:25 AM UTC
Steven -

First welcome to Armorama. You've already had a taste of the fantastic help and support you'll receive here at Armorama. All great ideas. Since the "kids" moved out, I've been fortunate to get one of the old bedrooms to set up for my modeling/hobbies/books etc. (finally). I still find myself using a folding TV tray to set for use in living room and small boxes or hardware store parts bins for use and quick put away.

Blade48mrd
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 04:02 AM UTC
I agree with the others that a tackle box would work fine

I just got back into the hobby a few months ago and plan on building a work place once I get the time. But a few years ago when I was modeling I worked used Pizza kit boxes (the kits you sell as fund raisers in school) to work out of. In fact I’m still using them.

This picture’s of them when I just started again so I’ve changed the layout a bit.
One’s used for painting, one for glueing and puttying. The last ones to keep tools and supplies in.

They can be stacked on top of each other to easy be carried or to take up less space. And when your done working you can just close the box and put it away. When you com back to it everything where you left it.

I also have a larger box’s that less used or extra items stay in.
jemstar555
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 09:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello there..

I too had to find a way to work as I live in an apartment
and didn't have any extra rooms..

What I did was convert the closet off the living room
into a dedicated hobby room..

Its 4 foot by 3 foot and all it took to make it workable
was a Shop type roll around toolbox, a custom built
workbench surface and a few small organizers units
from wal-mart...

here is a pic..

of course this set up is not for clostrophobes.

works very well for me as i can leave stuff out and just
close the door and none of the 4 cats can get to anything to bother it..

Thanks for all the ideas guys (and for making a newbie feel welcome).

I like the cupboard (I know you call it closet) concept. I have a much smaller cupboard which I could use.There isn't actually enough room in it to set up a workspace as such but I could at least have a shelf to work on and shelves to store tools, paint, etc.

And thanks for the link to your Model Maker's Toolbox Sabot, most heplful.

Thanks again guys.
 _GOTOTOP