_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Air compressor help
danmo
Visit this Community
Ecuador
entire network: 92 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 08:58 AM UTC
Hello:

I bought an air compressor a couple of years ago, but it is so noisy that each time I want to use it my wife threats to go with her mother. I´m plannig to buy a Campbell Housfeld FP 2040 2 gallon direct drive quite air compressor this christmas and I dont want to make the same mistake, so I want to ask first.

The specs for this tool are:

VOLTAGE/FREQUENCY 120 Volts
SCFM @ 90 / 40 PSI 0.7 / 1.0 SCFM
MAXIMUM PRESSURE 100 PSI
DIMENSIONS 17"H x 10"W x 18"L
WEIGHT 18 lbs.

Will this be a good buy?

Thanks

capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 02:18 AM UTC
I have a compressor also, BUT for quiet, I use a CO2 tank. Works very well.
capnjock
Frag
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 437 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 02:48 AM UTC
Daniel,

I have that model of CH and have been using it for about 10 months. It is quite a bit quieter than the prevoius one I had. It is a great compressor for airbrushing. The compressor itself does not need to run very often. It only takes about 3-4 minutes to get the 2 gallon tank up to 100 psi. I paid $80 US for mine.
Donald99
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 265 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 02:25 PM UTC
Mine is a direct drive with a maximum 80 psi output and 50 dB noise rating. It is made in Taiwan but I can't find the brand name anywhere on it.

The nosie is acceptable. Since we only need 10 to 30 psi for our paint job, I am sure you can find some compressors out there which is less powerful and less noisy.

If noise is really an issue, you should consider one of those feeding into a tank and automatically comes on again when the pressure has gone below certain level. I have seen someone talking about one of those on this forum and posted a link couple of days ago. It is worth checking it out.
snowman6
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 51 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 02:53 PM UTC
I use a carbon dioxide tank as well. It works better than my compressor. The gas last quite a while iif you only use it for an airbrush.
 _GOTOTOP