_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Yeah, i got a dremel???
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 01:17 PM UTC
Hurray! i went to a tool sale tonight with my father and saw a cheap brand of "dremel" for 30 dollars canadien without any taxes. So my dad offered to pay half and buy some bits to go with it. so i basicly get a dremel for 15 dollars... good deal?

Now what can i use this tool for anyway? lol

Thanks
Frank
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 03:12 PM UTC
Congrats!You are now armed with the premier weapon against massive resin part casting plugs!
3 tool bits you need for this are cut-off wheels,sanding drums,and sanding wheels.Cuts a ton of time off working with resin parts.Thinning out styrene kit fenders is possible once you get good with it.Some guys use a burring bit and 'bounce' it on turret surfaces to get a cast steel appearance.
Have fun!
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 03:16 PM UTC
Make sure you use proper eye protection and a mask. That fine plastic powder is no good for the eyes and lungs
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 03:34 PM UTC
well glad to know my 15 dollar investment proved to be usefull! dont worry Alan, i wont want to go blind or infect my lungs!
proper eye protection- check
proper mask- check
proper knoledge on how to use.... im not sure about that lol

Francois
Blade26
Visit this Community
Kozani, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 364 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 12:46 AM UTC
Good buying Francois!
Very good!
I paid 60 Euros for the Dremel and 15 Euros for drill bits and other accessories!
And i still don't have a multi chuck to fit all the drill bits cause i bought the wrong Dremell pacadge!!!

So this is a very good offer you got there!!
Cheers and happy Drilling!!
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 07:50 AM UTC
ouuch! the only reason whay i bought the cheap version was the cheap price.. i mean, 15 bucks isnt much of a loss lol. there about 120 dollars canadien at canadien tire( big hardware store)

When my girlfriend asked what id do with it and i couldnt respond i looked a little dumb lol.

Francois
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 08:02 AM UTC
Congratulations, you are now the owner of a tool that can turn a nice build into a disaster in the blink of an eye, or throw a vital part into the grasp of the carpet monster before you notice. Practice, practice practice I use one all the time but take care. Lots of great uses.
Frag
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 437 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 08:49 AM UTC
You can also buy a cheap stand made for the Dremel that turns it into a small drill press. I use it to drill out the wire holes for Friulmodel metal tracks.
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
entire network: 5,653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 08:54 AM UTC
Hi François!

Take care with your Dremel! Believe it or not I managed to get a drill bit right in my chest lately. No kidding! Too bad I didn't thought of taking a picture... By the way, it was only a 0,5 mm drill, but it was not easy to remove (I had to twist it out! Uuuuh!)
Apart from drilling small rivet holes in your own chest you can make good work with those machines!

Jean-Luc
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 10:37 AM UTC
Dont worry for my safty guys, i wouldnt want to be injured and not be able to check out hte big A because im at the clinic.

Mike, that drill press idea could be good i think il check out the tool section at my local hardware store and see what i can pick up.

Francois
 _GOTOTOP