_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
For Military Pers: Future? More than one use?
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 501 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 02:17 PM UTC
Here a question for my fellow army (all right, you navy and air force guys too :-) ) Here's the question. If I got a high polish on my parade boots and then sprayed Future on them, would work in keeping them real shiny? I heard (could be an urban legend though) of a guy laminating his parade boots! :-) Or maybe I'm just being lazy. What do you think?

Maybe I'll experiment on my oxfords #:-)
Kaboom
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
entire network: 69 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 04:58 PM UTC
As you know Future is a hard acrylic clear coat. Don't put it on any boots that you will be wearing because it will crack! Here's a suggestion. Grab your shine kit and boots, sit in front of the TV watching your favorite sporting event or movie and go to work. After the're done wad up a pair of pantyhose (hopefully you have a female friend or a store nearby ), and buff em' up real good!

Mark
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 443 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 06:33 PM UTC
I'm guessing that "future" is simillar to a product we call "clear". If that is the case than yes you can put it on your boots. I do recall the American boots are quite supple (I assume that is what you have) so you may have a problem with cracking. Our British boots are quite rigid so only bend in certain areas. I would recomend a trial before you need to use the boots for a parade. I was under the impression that you guys got patent leather shoes for your best dress, is that wrong? One word of warning is that sometimes when wet this polish has a tendency to have a blue sheen to it, so you haveto be careful of that. If that fails I'm afraid it will be spit and polish and plenty of bulling until you get the mirror shine you require.
Cheers
Robbo

Ps My Sgt stripes are upside down! Does anyone know how I can fix this? My Sgt-major has said unless I correct this, I will be on show parade in mess tin order until further notice!

AHHHHHH! Even worse now I've been promoted and have loads of extra stripey things. Anybody want to swap some excess stripes for a crown?
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 501 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 07:06 PM UTC
remearmr-I tried to get staff jim to get different ranks for different countries. Maybe? :-)
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 07:07 AM UTC
I have used Future Floor Polish on the toe cap and heel of Cochran "jump boots". I still had a couple hundred coats of polish under the Future. If Future gets on any part of the boot that bends it will crack, as stated above. This then leads to a frosted appearance. I do not use Furture now as I can no longer wear Cochrans as they gave me tendonitis in my left ankle. I start with a cleanup with saddle soap to remove any residue from manufactoring process, then five or more heavy coats of polish with a period between coats for the polish to dry then I brush shine the polish. This process helps to fill-in the rough surface of the leather. After a good base is built up I then braek out my old margarine dish filled with cold water, my Kiwi polish and a bag of cotton balls. These items are used to "spit shine" my boots. I am now able to quickly hit the boots with one spit polishing before wearing to remove any scuffs - about five mintues. You can also you "neutral " (clear) Kiwi over the spit shine to give it some depth.

Hooah!
 _GOTOTOP