History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Waffen-SS
fire4effect
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 08:05 AM UTC
Hi all,

I'm in college and currently taking a class which primarly deals with all Holocaust related issues and art producded during that time period. Well I have to write a rather short research paper and have decided to research the Waffen-SS. I was wondering if any WW2 buffs out there would happen to have some quick recomendations for any literature or websites on this subject. Primarly on the regulations and rules and general training of an SS recruit/officer. Personal accounts would be very helpful as well. It would be a plus if any of the information is crediable and of course not biased. Thanks guys!!!
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 09:59 AM UTC
NOOOO, not holocaust and Waffen-SS in same paragraph. lol just kidding. Waffen-SS were frontline troops, not usually used in concentration camps. Am I correct that they took the algemeine SS guys for the camps? Sorry to go off topic, but this was always a question of mine and thought you would know lol.
fire4effect
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 01:37 PM UTC
From research that I've gathered so far, the Allgemeine-SS were general SS personnel. Primarly delt with/in political and administrative roles.

The Totenkopfuerbande "Death's Head Units" (SS-TV) happened to be the SS branch primarliy in charge of the concentration camps.

Also Waffen-SS soilders that were wounded/injured and could no longer actively serve as combat troops were rotated into various positions within the camps.
Max_Fischer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 639 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 12:15 PM UTC

there is a book called , Modeling the Waffen SS...... Anyone have this?

What can you tell me about this book?
I ordered it Saturday and now egerly awating to get it!
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 945 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 08:13 PM UTC
Max, I just got mine...

I think you are referring to the Osprey book by Calvin Tan. It is pretty informative. His style of painting is new to me (prime figure in black). He uses alot of washes to blend his highlights and shadows.

He also sculpt his figures which they are well discplined and detailed.

I have not finish the book yet nor try the techniques. However, It's a very informative book to have.

If you already ordered, I say you got your money worth.

I hope this helps

WC
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 08:22 PM UTC
Paul,

Osprey have an excellent range of titles about the SS in both the Men-at-Arms and Warrior series'... I believe these books will cover all your above questions... not sure if your local library will stock them though...

HTH

Rudi
fire4effect
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 10:08 AM UTC
Thanks Tarok, I will look into them!
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 05:20 PM UTC
Paul,

I had a brief look at my copy of Osprey 's Waffen-SS Soldier 1940–45 (Warrior 2) and I believe it covers what you are looking for...

Here's the link: Click here

The brief synopsis from Osprey's site:

Author: Bruce Quarrie
Illustrator: Jeffrey Burn

Paperback; March 25 1993; 64 pages; ISBN: 1855322889

About this book
Probably the most highly motivated and ruthless combatant to take the field in World War 2, the Waffen-SS soldier was the cutting edge of Germany's military might. Aggressive in attack, dogged in defence, his units generally suffered higher casualties than the regular army formations. The apple of the Führer's eye, he was the first to receive the best available equipment and was expected to produce results to match. From the green fields of France to the freezing steppes of Russia and finally to the shattered streets of Berlin this title details the development of the weapons, equipment and tactics of one of history's most formidable soldiers.
Contents
# Historical Background
# Chronology
# Appearance
# Equipment
# Weapons
# Manufacture and Maintenance
# Psychology and Training
# Tactics
# Typical Engagements
# Famous Individuals
# Logistics