_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Union Jack Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Where to get "blacken it" in UK
Ross
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 213 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 03:16 AM UTC
Blacken It.

A number of modellers use this product for metal tracks and other parts. I think it is mainly intended for the model rail market. Does anyone know if it can be bought this side of the pond, or does it have to be ordered from the ex-colonies? There is also a product from the same company for wood, is that available?

Alternatively does anyone know if selenium toner for photography or other toners will work.

These seem much easier to get hold of. Even more alternatively, if I can't get hold of blacken it I'll try Selenium Toner and tell you guys if it works.

Ross
dsotm
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 357 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 05:47 AM UTC
I tried several times to find it here, but always ended up getting it from the ex-colonies - Mission Models
Fazer1006
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 234 Posts
KitMaker Network: 64 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 10:39 AM UTC
HI Ross,
I saw your question on 'Blacken it' & I have seen it advertised in Model Railway mags. The company is called 'Carrs' & i have seen it in Monk bar model shop in York. They list a number of products which could be used in weathering models & I will try to find out if they have a web site.
Mark D
Found the Website under Carr's solder & fluxes. & they list a number of UK Suppliers!
Ross
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 08:38 PM UTC
Mark

Thanks for that, I've found the site.

I may well still try the selenium toner as it seeems to be one of the ingredients of Carr's and A-West's blackening compounds.

Ross
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 02:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark

Thanks for that, I've found the site.

I may well still try the selenium toner as it seeems to be one of the ingredients of Carr's and A-West's blackening compounds.

Ross

Hi Ross,
Any luck with this?,I want to try on a set of Frulis
Andy
Ross
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 09:05 PM UTC
Just seen your reply. I tried Selenium Toner (Maco LP Selenium toner containing Ammoniumthiosulphate up to 30 %, Natriumsulphite up to 10% and Natriumselenite up to 3%) on some Karaya tracks and it did not do much. It did get a brownish precipitate, but this was not on the track link, maybe if you heat it up it would, I also got some Carrs Metal Black for White Metal Steel from a model train store, but this only made the link go black. I have heard that "Blacken it" gives a nice rusty effect but have not found it for sale and have given up on this avenue at the moment.

Ross
Ross
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 02:08 PM UTC
I can now confirm that Carrs Metal Black is not the same as Blacken-It and will not give the same effect on Friul tracks. See my posting in the Armour Forum.

Ross
 _GOTOTOP