Hosted by Matt Leese
Accelorator use.Where,when,how?
jackhammer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 357 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 07:35 AM UTC
I don't normally use accelorator,but have bowed to peer pressure and purchased some.It came with a spray head a large bottle of solution.It seems to me a extreme waist of product to spray the accelorator onto a latch,hinge,or light guard.Can a wire be used to transfer the solution to the glued area?My bottle suggests using the accelorator first then glueing the part and connect the two areas.Is this acceptable?I hope this isn't a foolish question,I just want to cut out the learning curve.
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 08:00 AM UTC
Hi Jackhammer,
I'll jump in with my own experience, for what it's worth.
It sounds like I have the same set-up as you. I've had it for quite a few years.
I don't use the spray pump for several reasons. I don't like the idea of spraying the stuff all over my model when I just want it to go in a specific spot. So I either use an old brush or just the bottom of the tube on the sprayer to transfer the accelerator to the model.
But the main reason is that I really don't like the fumes from that stuff. The first time I sprayed a shot from the pump, I had a bad reaction to the fumes. It left me feeling very dopey for a couple of days. Had me worried until it finally went away. So now I take a deep breath, open the bottle and use what I need, cap the bottle and release my breath.
Just my experience but...
Hope this helps.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 09:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can a wire be used to transfer the solution to the glued area?

Yes. As Mel said, an old brush will work, too. What I've seen used very effectively are so-called "Micro brushes".

Quoted Text

My bottle suggests using the accelorator first then glueing the part and connect the two areas.Is this acceptable?

I never do this because you don't get any time to adjust the position of the parts. Like Mel, I usually use the tip of the spray tube. A piece of stretched sprue will work, too.

A couple things to remember. Accelartor will slightly soften the surface of plastic for a few moments so you shouldn't handle a part that has been treated until the stuff has fully evaporated and then some. Second, the reaction between accelerator and super glue causes a relatively great deal of heat. You can't use this to attach fine stretched sprue; it will melt. Using a large amount of glue as a filler with metal will generated a lot of heat. Never use accelerator repair a broken finger nail. Especially your wife's broken finger nail.
Bribo
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 205 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 10:10 AM UTC
And be careful attaching the part. I not only glued myself to my model once, because of the heat generated, it burned my finger very badly, and i couldn't get away from the heat, because the finger was glued!
jackhammer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 357 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 10:12 AM UTC
Applying accelorator sounds like me buying a model....I get all sorts of "heat" from that.LOL
Thanks for the heads up on the soft plastic.I can imagine the mess of "wood grain" all over the place if I used the spray pump.So,I will look for a cap that I can glue a pin into(Like liquid boot glue)for easy dispensing.I now own 3 different Zap-a-gaps;thin,medium,and plastic bond.The plastic formula is great,the thin is fast for phot-etch and medium for gap filling.I am a chemical brother with the quick grip,now!!!!!!!!
Hilary Clinton for President
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 08:58 AM UTC
I never used it, but lately I considered buying some. I don't like the story about it making you feel dopey for a few days. If it melts plastic, it's fumes can't be good for your brain cells either ! Take care with such products, buddy !
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 09:35 AM UTC
We can't even buy the stuff over here as far as I know. Some local Hobby Shop owner told me once that this isn't material to fool around with. I thought this was also the reason he mentioned for the Dutch Government not allowing it in Dutch stores.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 11:09 AM UTC
Danny, if you insist on finding it : it's on the counter at hobby shop Herman Verschooten, Eirermarkt 31a in Antwerpen. (close to Groenplaats, FNAC and Antwerp Hilton hotel).
DaveMan
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 137 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 08:05 PM UTC
I used accelerator in a small plastic bottle with a fine tube out the top, now I use it in my syringe. (A blunt tip syringe, not a medical one) the bottle would melt after a while, but the industrial glass syringe is pretty good. I do have to flush out the tip once in a while though. (I use laquer thinner)
 _GOTOTOP