_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Tamiya epoxy putty info
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,460 Posts
KitMaker Network: 366 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 12:32 PM UTC
Has anyone ever used the Tamiya epoxy putty? I need to know some information or review about this product, such as drying time.

Thank you
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 02:03 PM UTC
Is this the one in a tube like a tube of toothpaste? If so it is OK to use as long as you do not put it on too thick as it will melt plastic if used in large amounts at once. You can also use liquid cement to smooth it out and save time with sanding.

cheers
Cliff
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 02:59 PM UTC
Hi Cliff,

It's not the same as the Tamiya Basic putty. Based on the item description it comes in two parts
see here... http://www.tamiya.com/english/news/event/figures33/making.htm

I think its similar to milliput, but probably cheaper, around $3 and based on the write-up it cures from 6 - 12 hours so you would have a longer modelling time. Its also not available here...now if the review is good then I might be forced to buy on-line (might come in handy sometimes) :-)

Thanks
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 10:52 PM UTC
I tried it.....
I didn't like it....
I threw it out......
I prefer Magic Sculpt.....
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 12:50 AM UTC
I tried it once. Okay, but at $10 for a quarter of the amount you get with Miliput at the same price, there's no contest.
GI_Babycakes
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 451 Posts
KitMaker Network: 158 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 04:03 AM UTC
i used it in my latest project. i found the advice i received about keeping my fingers wet while using it helpful. ( i also worked quickly due to the warning: USE GLOVES! and made sure i washed hands really good after.) since it's the first product of it's kind that i used, I don't have much to compare it to. I do wish that it was a little softer to work with - more like clay - and that would make it easier to handle IMO. It might be ok for some items, but I'm wondering if there is something better for figures, for instance.
as for drying time - I modified all my figs in one night, then the next night I painted them. The amounts I was using weren't very thick- so that might make a difference to your project's drying time.
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 10:35 AM UTC
Hmmm, if I was ever to buy online, then I would buy miliput because based on your inputs the Tamiya is not that good. Thank for the information they were very useful...

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP