_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Saw a model commerial today
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 12:56 AM UTC
I was at the gym this morning getting my workout in before work and while watching ESPN on the TV they ran a model commercial on Gundam models. It was kinda cool. Showed the kids (all teenagers) with their Gundams in various stages of construction with a few that were complete with the kids saying how long it took them to finish-2 hours, 10 hours, etc.. The commercial was ok but I was just impressed to see a model commercial.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 01:37 AM UTC
I've seen that one too - Its good to see the main stream media picking that up.
jackhammer
Visit this Community
entire network: 357 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 02:14 AM UTC
There is a commercial for models?Wow!!! I remember that a long time ago on some obscure channel here in the states,there was a model building show.It was not advertised and directed at novices so,it flunked out quickly.It is good to see that word of mouth and model magazines isn't the only way that manufacturers are advertising.I think a few well placed adds will net some new modellers as well as the ones who set it down to deal with lifes challenges.
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 939 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 02:21 AM UTC
I've seen that Gundam ad a few times.

They try to make modelling look cool! The ads even try to make the harder to assemble kits sound better because they take longer to complete.

When will we see the Tamiya Pershing rolling around in attempt to get us to spend more $$$?!

Cheers
Andy
DaveMan
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 137 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 02:23 AM UTC
I have seen that too. Now I need to figure out where to find Gundams. My Goddaughter wants one, and I need to grab one for her. I figure anything that gets her intrested in model building has got to be good. Maybe she will get interested in more "Serious" subjects later on, but as long as she is interested in building models, I always have room on my display shelf for a robot, cartoon character, or pink vanity car. (Her primary interests at age 9)

(She did build a Revell Titanic this fall, and it looks pretty nice!)

Happy building,
Dave
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 939 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 02:36 AM UTC
Hi Daveman

All the hobby shops I frequent around Rochester have them. I saw some at a wargaming store too. There's always eBay...

Get her working on those kits!
Cheers
Andy
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 03:59 AM UTC
Oddly enough, I saw that one, too. We had just moved the IPMS meeting over to a nearby tavern. Somehow we had gotten a back room all to ourselves, so I played with the channels on the widescreen to see if I could get the history channel. I thought it would be really funny to watch the history channel in a sports bar. Anyway, after the owner turned the TV back to a football game we were all sitting around talking and that commercial came on. It was the first model commercial I have ever seen, so it was odd that it should come on while amongst other modellers.

Rob
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 340 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 05:33 AM UTC
Ive never seen that commer ial then again i dont watch much tv mostly do school and with my free time i am at my workbench
thats cools though
Peace Branden
slodder
Visit this Community
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 05:41 AM UTC
Daveman,
If you are looking for Gundams there's a thread with a whole bunch of responses in the forums. Try Target, Wallmart, Michaels, any hobby store.
 _GOTOTOP