_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Small Shop Hold N Fold
JU-88c6
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 38 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 01:27 AM UTC
I was wandering if anyone has the Small Shop Hold N Fold 4" tool?? can anyone tell me about it and if its good or bad etc thinking about gettin an etch tool as i dont have one and as kits are starting to realese there kits with PE parts now i thought betta get one but have no exp with PE parts or PE tools like this so any help would be gr8 thanks

John
fbuis
Visit this Community
Ain, France
entire network: 447 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 01:47 AM UTC
I use the Small Shop Bug Workstation Hold (2"), it goes well with my PE parts for 1:48 scale aircraft model - this Bug Workstation Hold is delivered with a direction of use, very easy to fold the PE parts.

I also use the Small Shop PE Part Rolling Set. A great assortment of tools for the radius, U-Shape, and cylinder shaped parts! The machined rolling channels are perfect for almost all my rolling needs.

HTH.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 02:06 AM UTC
I have the 4” Hold-n-Fold tool. Mine is an intermediate version that comes with a black base and a purplish head. There are several cut outs for various sized uses. I use mine often and like the small size.

There are several problems with it though. First is that the head is tightened with a round knob. A knurled knob or lever would give greater grip when tightening or loosening the head.

Second is that there is only one knob and it clamps tightly towards the center, but if you use the edges, you can’t always get tight pressure on the far edges to hold the piece securely.

I can post pictures of it later today if you are interested.
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 03:53 AM UTC
My main work horse is a 2in H&F. I also have a 8in for fenders etc. Mine has a knurrled knob, and is small enough that one knob does the job. I also have an etch mate from mission models, which also works well. But I use the 2in the most because it fits in my hand.
JU-88c6
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 12:42 PM UTC
thanks for all your replys, i was gonna get the hold n fold 4" tool from hobby easy, was looking for the mission models one but could not find it so looks like ill be getting this one, or should i just get the 2" one wats the difference just the size??
Donald99
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 265 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 03:57 PM UTC
Ideally, I would prefer a 2" for its compact size and a longer one for fenders. I cannot afford both so I settled for the 4" one. I had it for a few months now and am quite happy with it. No more messing about.

I only do 1/35 kits. If you are doing 1/48 only, a 4" one should be OK for most of the jobs.
JU-88c6
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 01:55 AM UTC
thanks everybody for your help i have ordered the 4" hold n fold tool from hobby easy should be here in a week or so wish me luck lol

John
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 09:32 AM UTC
Let us know what you think of it John, I know I need as much advice as possible with getting a hold-n-fold tool. Have never touched PE before and have several (a lot of the new DML kits as well as some 1/72 kits with PE) kits I am hesitant to even look at due to PE and no tool. Worse than no tool is the "no experience" factor either, no experience with PE and no knowledge of the different tools out there and what's best.

With them being a bit pricey, I'd hate to buy one and find I didn't like it or I bought one under or over what I needed one for. I think a 4" one sounds good but who the heck am I to choose? lol
 _GOTOTOP