_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Seats in military vehicles.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 01:51 AM UTC
Hello all,

I'm doing a model of Tamiya's M8 Greyhound armored car, and I'm opening up the hatchs and adding crewmen, my question is this,

The seat backs seem undersized for the figures, they don't seem to come very far up the back of the figures, Is this to scale, and the seats in AFV of WWII looked a bit undersized, or is makint them underscale a way for the company to save money on the kit manufacturing process?

Thanks.

Delbert
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 02:00 AM UTC
Not sure of 'reality' but other Tamiya kits have the seats fairly low on the figures backs. I'm sure you'll get a 'reality' answer here.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 03:26 AM UTC
IIrc most afv seats only suppot lower to at most mid back not realy meant for comfort. at least this was true in my 60. Seats are usualy not all that padded either especialy for the long hours spent in them under combat conditions. the divers setup might be a bit more comfy eveyone else is usualy moving or hunched over a sight. gunner at sight, loade moving around and TC standing more than sitting.

Josh
aKa shiryon
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 03:39 AM UTC
Read a good tip recently about making seats look better. Maybe it is common knowledge to you guys but its handy for those who dont. Add tissue and white glue to seat to add some texture and then some can be lifted in places to show tears in the outer material. The inner layer then can be painted a different colour for a very nice effect!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 04:13 AM UTC
As Josh stated, seats in AFVs are usually not too supportive and are just big enough to place your a** in. They are also small because of the room constraints in a turret, not much room for a big, cushy chair. They are definately not made for comfort, but for function. The seats on the M8 model are correct. It has nothing to do with manufacturers skimping to save money.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 04:21 AM UTC
Here is a site with detail photos of the interior of an M8 which includes the seats.
M8 Greyhound
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 616 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 06:36 AM UTC
A quick note about seating in APC's. The driver and TC also had seat backs, but they were so uncomfortable that we always removed them. My observations of seating in all military vehicles was that as stated above, they were only there to put your butt on, not for comfort. This included jeeps and trucks that I had occasion to ride in.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 01:41 AM UTC
Gino,

Great web site. I guess I should have checked it out before I built my M8. Explain to my wife why I need anothe one, will ya. LOL
 _GOTOTOP