_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
help
sarge
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 130 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 11:02 AM UTC
hi guys
after working on my leopold over the past few months i,m now stuck because my airbrush went kaput so i,ve decided to concentrate on the base while i save the money for a new one i,ve decided to go a bit further than i normally would and try to improve it by adding ballast and a few shrubs the appearance i want to give is of a dissused siding in the autumn so what size of ballast would look correct
plus how do you guys acheive the level of detail on your figs ??
all help much appreciated dave
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 01:29 PM UTC
Hi Dave, I know well the feeling of a broken air brush, enough to make you want to scream lol
For detailed work a visor is a must, if you dont already have one.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 02:17 PM UTC
Good brushes, and a steady hand, and practice... practice, practice.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 03:01 PM UTC
As to ballast and shrubbery. Not sure if you are building a 35th scale or 72nd scale. In either case, look at a local hobby store in the electric trains section. Woodland scenics makes ballast in 3 or 4 colors and 3 sizes (fine, medium, coarse) Pick up a bag or two of the one best suited for your needs. As to shrubbery, you can also get some of the grass / ground cover stuff from the Woodland scenics, once again several colors and levels of coarseness. To depict taller weeds, bristles on a paint brush work well. Go to a home improvement / hardware store and buy a cheap bristle brush. You can cut some of the bristles off at the desired height, and have a bunch of them left over to use on many other projects. All this stuff can be glued on using white glue. I use the Woodland Scenics liquid white glue. I attach a pump sprayer to bottle and after laying the groundwork stuff as I want it coat it thoroughly with the glue and let dry a day or 2. If you can't find any of the Woodland scenic stuff in England, check the mail order
 _GOTOTOP