_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Painting Metal Kits
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 08:43 AM UTC
Recent question about how to prepare and paint metal kits. Model railroaders have been building metal locos and rolling stock forever, so I thought I'd ask one how he does it. While much is about the disassembling of a locomotive, the principles and techniques are same for all.

Used with permission from Mr. Emerson of DJH Models DJH Model Loco

"Anyway here's what I do which will work providing the kit has been soldered together and not glued. Head off to your nearest auto parts store or hardware and get a spray can of etch primer, base colour doesn't matter, I prefer an epoxy based primer and a can of acetone. Disassemble the kit remove the motor/gearbox, coupling and the isulated bushings from the drawbar. Wash the parts in warm soapy water and then put them in a bath of white veneagar. This will etch the metal and may turn the white metal parts black. After about 4hrs remove the parts from the vineagar bath and wash them again in soapy water, rinse and dry with a hairdryer. You should be wearing rubber gloves during all this so as not to leave any finger print residue on the model. Now providing you haven't glued the model together wash it in acetone. This will remove any stuborn residue like dried flux. Do this outside as acetone is nasty stuff, wear gloves, eye protection etc. Dry the model again, it should air dry as acetone will evaporate without leaving a surface film. Spray the model with the etch primer. A thin coat is best and it should be thin enough to see the metal through it. Dry this with the hairdryer. Set up your airbrush and spray the model with your preferred paint. I like the Polly S Scale water based paints best as you can speed up the drying time by using the hairdryer on it. Appy the paint in thin even coats keeping the airbrush paralel to model. Start spraying the paint before you reach the model and stop after you have passed the model. This will ensure coats of an even thickness. Once you are satisfied with the colour apply a couple of coats of high gloss finish. This will provide a better surface for applying decals. Once the decals are on and dried apply a couple of coats of satin finish and after this is all done you can weather the model if you desire. You can do the same thing with the motion, wheels and chassis. You will have to mask off any parts you dont want paint on like the the wheel treads. I use a vinyl masking agent called "Maskol" that is made by Humbrol in the UK but I think you can get something similar from Microscale.This stuff when applied dries to a thin vinyl film which can be easily peealed off after use."

This email was cleaned by emailStripper, available for free from http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 05:34 PM UTC
Excellent piece, thanks for sharing.

I hate to admit it, but my club chairman was right, model railroaders have been leading the way in the model scale hobby for years now...
 _GOTOTOP