History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Recommended Reading: Eastern Front
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 11:01 AM UTC
Since there are a few recommended reading lists in this forum, I thought that I would recommend a book that I recently read. If anyone is looking for a definitive history of the Russian Front in WW2, I suggest the book "Russia at War" by Alexander Werth. The author was a British war correspondent born in Russia who reported on events on the Russian front as they unfolded. Werth puts his experiences and knowledge into this epic-length book (about the size of War and Peace). With chapters on the impact of the Battle of Britain on Russia to chapters on the Catholic Church in Russia, the book explores a vast array of issues that effected Russia from both political and military standpoints. A great book for those who are serious about really understanding Russia.
Happy reading,
Andrew
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 05:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Since there are a few recommended reading lists in this forum, I thought that I would recommend a book that I recently read. If anyone is looking for a definitive history of the Russian Front in WW2, I suggest the book "Russia at War" by Alexander Werth. The author was a British war correspondent born in Russia who reported on events on the Russian front as they unfolded. Werth puts his experiences and knowledge into this epic-length book (about the size of War and Peace). With chapters on the impact of the Battle of Britain on Russia to chapters on the Catholic Church in Russia, the book explores a vast array of issues that effected Russia from both political and military standpoints. A great book for those who are serious about really understanding Russia.
Happy reading,
Andrew

Andrew--if you want to start a reading list on the Eastern Front, please do so. We have one going on the Pacific and its gotten some very good responses. Let me know if we can assist.
DJ
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 08:38 AM UTC
Thanks for the support but I have only read a few books on the Eastern Front and my reading mostly consists of Western Front topics.

One other fascinating book on the Eastern front though, is "Enemy at the Gates". This book is nothing like the move that was made with the same title. This book captures in vivid realism what it was like to fight in Stalingrad, from the "happy days" for the Germans until their encirclement and capture. The book also includes accounts of Manstiens attempted breakthrough to relieve the Stalingrad pocket. Real-life accounts from both sides of the struggle make this book absolutely fabulous,
I highly recommend picking it up,
Andrew
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 08:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the support but I have only read a few books on the Eastern Front and my reading mostly consists of Western Front topics.

One other fascinating book on the Eastern front though, is "Enemy at the Gates". This book is nothing like the move that was made with the same title. This book captures in vivid realism what it was like to fight in Stalingrad, from the "happy days" for the Germans until their encirclement and capture. The book also includes accounts of Manstiens attempted breakthrough to relieve the Stalingrad pocket. Real-life accounts from both sides of the struggle make this book absolutely fabulous,
I highly recommend picking it up,
Andrew

Andrew--may I highly recommend to you Anthony Bevors' "Battle for Stalingrad." Marvelous book. And, if you like that one when you finish try his "Battle for Berlin." Two super books.
DJ
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 02:30 PM UTC
Thanks for the recomendations but it will take a long time before I finish "An Army At Dawn" :-)

Andrew
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 01:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the recomendations but it will take a long time before I finish "An Army At Dawn" :-)

Andrew

Andrew--a superb book. See the separate discussion on he book in this forum and join in.
DJ
BSPRU
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 152 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 07:40 AM UTC
Beevor's books are good. Also Carrel's "Hitler moves east" and "scorched earth". Chrostopher Duffy's book "Red storm on the Reich" is good. But a book I give Two thumbs up to, is Russ Schneider's "Gotterdammerung 1945" Germany's last stand in the east.
brian
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2002 - 06:09 AM UTC
BSPRU - I concur on your book recommendation. It filled in a major hole in my understanding of the last six months on the eastern front. Excellent read, but not enough maps. GOT TO HAVE PLENTY OF MAPS IN ANY BOOK DEALING WITH MILITARY OPS/HISTORY.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2002 - 06:16 AM UTC
A book I really like is "Soldat".

BSPRU
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 03:57 AM UTC
"Frontsoldaten: the German soldier in WW2" by Stephen Fritz
"Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer(contrversy exist about this book but an excellent read)
"Ostfront 1944: german defensive battles on the russian front" by Alex Buchner
"Crumbling Empire: germans defeat in the east 1944" by Samuel Mitcham
"war on the Eastern Front" ,Last Days of the Riech", and "Battlegroup" by James Lucas
Hitlers last bastion: the final battles for the Riech1944-45" by Kurowski
"Forgotten Legions: obscure combat formation of the Waffen SS" by Antonio Munoz
"Waffen SS in Russia" by Bruce Quarrie
brian
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 05:05 AM UTC
Here are a few more for the list. Not only are they good book's
.........but they are written by some very knowledgeable authors.

Hell's Gate: The Battle of the Cherkassy Pocket January to February 1944 by Douglas E. Nash

Army Group Center - The Wehrmacht in Russia 1941 - 1945 by Werner Haupt

Army Group North - The Wehrmacht in Russia 1941 - 1945 by Werner Haupt

Army Group South - The Wehrmacht in Russia 1941 - 1945 by Werner Haupt

Battle of Kharkov: Winter 1942-1943 by Jean Restayn

Beyond Stalingrad: Manstein and the Operations of Army Group Don by Dana V. Sadarananda

Campaign 16 - Kursk 1943: The Tide Turns in the East by Mark Healy ( OSPREY )

Eastern Front: Barbarossa, Stalingrad, Kursk, and Berlin 1941 - 1945 by Duncan Anderson

- ralph
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 09:06 AM UTC

The Paul Carel book Barbarossa. The one that is a collection of photos the author uncovered while researching his other books. Most images come from the individuals mentioned in the book and have not been seen before.

I think it is available from Schiffer publishing, maybe a reprint.

If anyone is interested in these events, this is a must have book IMHO. A collection of B&W and original color (the Germans were far ahead of anyone else when it came to color film during this time period) photos. What's best is there are a lot of photos of everday life of the soldiers and civilians on both sides. This is great material for anyonje doing dio work.

The book may be a bit pricey but I think worh every penny. It's much more than just a coffee table book of AFV and soldier photos.

Steve
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 293 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 09:29 AM UTC
A good book for all fronts, but especially the German armored efforts in North Africa is PANZER BATTLES by Maj. Gen F.W. Von Mellenthin.

He was in Rommel's staff in the North African campaign and his accounts are amazing to say the least. The book is loaded with maps, one about every 5 pages for the African campaign. The tactical information is very good also. Not as much a history book as an analyses of armored tactics, the planning and execution of tank warfare. I think I saw it somewhere that General Schwarzkopf read this book in preparation for the Gulf War. I have read it more than once already, something that I can't say about any other book.

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
BSPRU
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 01:23 PM UTC
"The End of the War; Europe, April 15-May 23 1945" by Charles Whiting
"Defeat in the East" by Jurgen Thorwald
"The Last 100 Days"by John Toland
"The Battle for Moscow" by Col. Albert Seaton
"The Devils Virtuosos" by David Downing
"Panzer Commander" by Col. Hans von Luck
"the Last Battle" by Cornelius Ryan
"Hungary 1944-1945; The Forgotten Tragedy" by Perry Piernik
"Fighting in Hell" edited by Peter G. Touras
"Decision in the Ukraine Summer 1943 2 SS and 3 Panzerkorps" by George M. Nipe
Kharkov 1942; Anatomy of a Military Disaster" David M. Glantz
"Infanterie Aces" by Franz Kurowsk
"The battle for Stalingrad" by Marshall Vasili Ivanovich Chuikov
Ballantine's illustrated history of WW2
"The defense of Moscow"by Geoffrey Jukes
"The siege of Leningrad" by Alan Wykes
"Stalingrad"by Geoffrey Jukes
"Kursk"by Jukes
"Battle for Berlin"by Earl Ziemke
"German Armor" by Douglas Orgill
brian
BSPRU
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 06:19 AM UTC
A book I am reading is "FOR THE HOMELAND! The History of the 31st Waffen-SS Volunteer Grenadier Division" by Rudolf Pencz. Mostly formed by conscripted Hungarian ethnic Germans.It fought in Hungary and upper Silesia in the last months of the war.
brian