_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Civil War Artillery Limber
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 1,281 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 01:07 PM UTC

Hi all

I had some artillery wheels that Cheyanne gave me so i thought this morning (day off...yahoo) that i would have a go at scratch building a limber to go with my Burnsides Bridge dio.
Material
Balsa wood
Masking Tape
Sticky copper tape
Fuse Wire.
Brass Wire

I carved the new axle out of balsa and made the Limber chest out of some sheet balsa the gun cover on the chest is made out of wine bottle lead, and the straps are made out of sticky copper tape, with fuse wire buckles.
The brass wire was used at the front of the limber pole for attaching the limber to the horses, i have to make a bucket to go under the limber and a pole prop to go under the splinter bar a few more harness rings.
I intend to have it abandoned on the farm track on perhaps with a damaged wheel also perhaps hanging some personal kit from it.
Hope you like it any feed back would be great ...its 54m scale
Cheers Chris

woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 1,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 01:35 PM UTC
Pretty Impressive.
With the caliber of work you did on this me thinks you could have scratchbuilt the wheels too. And thanks for the materials list. There’s some stuff to keep in mind.

Looks good. No criticism here. Just questions:
1. Do you paint or stain the balsa?
2. Will there be a problem with the wood surface? Untreated it looks so much rougher than the smooth, plastic, wheels. Or will the paint/stain help that?

Now to go check out your Burnsides Bridge post…
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 11:35 PM UTC
Hi Keith
Thanks for the response its only my 2nd go at scratch building caught the bug off my my Cheyanne. The last thing i made was a 12 century Norman sword last week ..lol lol so i thought i would jump right in,i would have loved to have made the wheels but iam sure they would have ended up like some thing off the flintstones cartoon...lol lol.
I sanded the balsa with fine sandpaper i use the the quite hard balsa i know it has a name escapes me at the moment.
I then seal it with a sealent that is used for maling balsa aircraft that somes the fury effct that you get with balsa.
I will paint it and weather it they were a sort of green color no doubt there is a name for that to...lol.
I found the sticky brass tape from AC Moores really good an excelent to work with great for making straps and gun slings.
I must say i very much enjoyed making this,and i did learn a lot from the process,i have kept tenplates of each part so that i can make up more for something else if required..now i have to find some 54m dead horses.
Agian thanks for youe feed back Happy Modling regards Chris
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 01:46 AM UTC
Second go huh.. is Mcgyver your middle name Chris... *L* Now thats some talent...

Dave
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 02:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

now i have to find some 54m dead horses.
Chris

Verlinden's gotcher dead horses right 'ere!

Available from Military Miniatures Warehouse
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 06:18 AM UTC
Hi Dave thanks for the feed back it was one of those days when everything fell into place instead of the place falling on me...lol
Hi Al
Thanks for the info i knew i had seen some somewhere when all else fails people Al is always to the rescue..you must have been a wing man in your previous life,or the the guy who always had that extra ammo...lol.
Cheers Chris
 _GOTOTOP