_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Gunze Flat Clear Base turns white
octupus
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 01:48 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

Sometime after I sprayed Gunze Flat Clear Base on the painted model kits, the flat base will turn white. I would like to know how you guys do to prevent the flat base from turning white.

Steve
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 02:06 PM UTC
I am not sure if it is the same as with Gunze, but Tamiya's flat clear base is meant to be mixed with the paint when applying it to the model. If you just spray it onto the model, it'll turn white. Perhaps this is the same type of situation?
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 02:14 PM UTC
Steve, happened to me in my first model too, I think something to do with the paint not fully dried or while spray the flat the room is too humid....
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 09:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve, happened to me in my first model too, I think something to do with the paint not fully dried or while spray the flat the room is too humid....

If your talking about Gunze's Super Clear Flat in spray can, yeah I too have that problem. I initially thought it was because the one I had was old stock. In another forum, I was told that it was the humidity. Made sense since I live in a tropical country. But I remember using the flat coat when the weather was perfect (i.e. not high humidity) and I still get that white 'fog'. Possible reasons: 1) the can wasn't shaken as much as it should be, or 2) too much of the clear coat (either too many passes or too close to the model). Anyway, whenever it happens to me, all I do is dip a cotton bud in Gunze's Mr. Thinner (lacquer), and carefully gently lightly roll the cotton swab on the offending white portion. A little bit of the flat coat remains on the model - enough to protect the paint work and give it a flat finish.
octupus
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 04:58 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your suggestions to prevent the flat base from turning white. And GIBeregovoy, I will try your method to see if it works on my kits.

Steve

dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 485 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 11:12 AM UTC
I learned a long time ago to ALWAYS test flat coat on something before you spray your model!!!!
I use a glossy magazine picture........wait a couple of minutes.......if it's flat and not white.....then spray your masterpiece. This will take care of your problems too...mixing could also be your problem too......aerosol cans have to be shaken for a good couple of minutes before spraying....but always check it on something before you spray your model....ALWAYS!!!
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 12:26 PM UTC
I just did a quick yahoo search.......If Gunze Flat Clear Base is H40 then
Mixing one drop of Flat Base (H40) into a color cup of a gloss color will make it dry flat.

It's not a "clearcoat" It's Tamiya all over again

HTH

Matt
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 01:26 PM UTC
My suggestion... stick to ModelMaster Flat Matt Spray #1960. Never let's me down!
octupus
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 10:11 PM UTC
Thanks again for all your help.
I have read some tech guide on Tamiya USA web site and learned that if you want to have better result while with spray can, you'd better heat up the Spray can a bit and shake well before spray it to your kits.

Steve
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 12:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks again for all your help.
I have read some tech guide on Tamiya USA web site and learned that if you want to have better result while with spray can, you'd better heat up the Spray can a bit and shake well before spray it to your kits.

Steve

I remember reading that in an FSM article on enamel paints. It said, when using enamel paints in spray cans, always warm it up by filling up a basin with warm water, then putting the can in it (water level around a third or half the height of the can). It will make the paint inside flow better.
 _GOTOTOP