_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
do you need digital camera?
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 11:38 AM UTC
Could i use an slr then have the developer put my pictures on a disk?
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 11:40 AM UTC
Yes, that's what I do for every roll of film I take. And what's good too, is that they usually put the images on the disk in three sizes, thumbnail, small(60kb), and large(3mb).
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 12:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Could i use an slr then have the developer put my pictures on a disk?

You could do that or scan the images into your computer if you have access to a camera.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 01:15 PM UTC
Do I need a digital camera? That's only a question that you can answer. I know that I do. Click and download. Send them around, or post if you're happy with them. If not, delete and re-shoot. Burn 'em to your own disk.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 10:18 PM UTC
what I do is take the pics with my 35mm using 400 film with a screw in 4X magnifying lens and then get the film developed in the normal way. Then I scan the negatives I want into the computer using my Canoscan scanner and Adobe Photoshop software where I can edit them. Have a look at the rivit board GMC-CCKW pics. They were done this way. So you do not need a digital camera.

Cliff (I'm a driver not a private)
The_Swede
Visit this Community
Jönköping, Sweden
entire network: 327 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 06:39 AM UTC
I used to have a Canon EOS 10QD slr but I sold it the other day and bought me a Olympus Camedia 4000 digital camera.
Why? Because it costed me a fortune to develope images.
The problem was that whenever I went for reference images I blew away about 6-10 rolls of film and that costed me between 100-150 USD each time. (In swedish currency ofcource)
I was very happy with my Canon, it took excelent images.
When developing I had the laboratory put the images on CD-ROM as well so I didn't have to scan.
The pros with a digital camera is that you can instantly see if the image was good and if not, delete and take one more.
You don't have to wait for your images, if you want to post a "in progress" shot of your latest project you just pick up your camera, take the images and put them on the net.

So, to sum it up.
You don't need a digital camera but a digital camera has it's advantages over an slr and an slr has it's advantages over a digital.

Thord

*Edited because of big, fat, chlumsy fingers*
modelnut4
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 117 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2003 - 08:46 AM UTC
I found that Olympus makes a D-380 digital unit that is under $200 US and probably will be down to a street price of $150 as the newer units come on line. It has the software needed to put your stuff in the computer as well as the neccesary cable. The only thing I added was an AC battery eliminator, don't care for the old batteries to die while I'm digging the stuff out of the smart media card. You can focus down to within 9.25 inches of your intended victim, shooot the shot,, then go up to 3x magnification for your finished picture. You can print them on any inkjet printer worth it's salt. you can use the software included to shrink it down to E Mail sized images that won't crash the recipients unit when you send them, or you can just tuck them away on the old hard disk for your personal enjoyment.
Included with the unit is;
the cable to hook it to your unit,
The CD to give you all the capabilities to deal with all the pictures you plan on inflicting upon friends and neighbors,
One measly 8mb smart media card, good for 16 shots at HQ, 2nd from the very best quality that the D-380 can muster. If you plan on emailing your pictures, save yourself a lot of aggravation at first and just use on of the lower image quality selections if your just going to email it anyway what's the point in shooting up all your space on the old ultraclear, crisp, digital, add your own adjectives here, photo? Olympus is not the only company out there making smart media cards, they go all the way up to 256mb, the D-380 can handle up to a 128mb, at HQ that is good for over 250 pictures that would make Kodak cry.
Of course once you buy the camera, there comes all the little extra stuff you get add, for most model types this includes lighting to show off that ultra cool interior. 65 Watt photo floods in an aluminum reflector body works for my uses, just don't leave them on while you go walk the dog, do your laundry, answer the MOM phone call. When you come back you will see new dimensions to your handiwork that neither you nor the maker of your kit ever intended. Be nice to your intended victims, er, fellow modelers. Use a sheet, a blanket, your Aunt Marthas shower curtain, White cardboard that comes in tee shirt packages, something, anything as a backdrop to your scene. OK I'm off my soapbox, hope it helps.

Jay
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2003 - 09:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

your Aunt Marthas shower curtain,
Jay

As long as Aunt Martha's not using the showere curtain at the time! #:-)
 _GOTOTOP