Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
German Belt Buckle & Ammo Pouch
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 07:13 PM UTC
Cody,
As you recommended, I started a new thread to show the German belt buckle and ammo pouch I have. Sorry it took so long to get it done.

I bought these along with a couple Mauser rifles and a civil defense helmet last year.

I believe the buckle to be Luftwaffe, but I need someone in the know to confirm that. Any information regarding either item would be greatly appreciated. I'd also like to know what they might be worth, but have no intention of selling them.

I have a silk map issued to an 82 Airborne soldier who was at Normandy also. I'll try to get photo's of that posted soon as well.

Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 08:37 PM UTC
Yup, it's Luftwaffe OK, & the fact that it's been painted Luftwaffe Field Blue as opposed to being left bright aluminium would suggest it's either from a Field Division soldier, Hermann Goering Panzer, or Fallschirmjager, as opposed to a flight mechanic or whatever.
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 02:19 AM UTC
Hi Darryl,

A Luft buckle it is. could be the 82nd map might be the real treasure in the lot. Thanks for sharing.

Cody
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 03:26 AM UTC
Thanks guys!

Steve,

Do you know of any references I could use to research the buckle a bit more?

Cody,

Actually the map was given to me by a co-worker, along with a "year book" of the 82nd Airborne Division. Her father served with the 82nd during Normandy. Apparently all the soldiers who participated were issued silk maps of Europe. It's two sided and still in it's original OD pouch. She gave them to me because she knew I too served with the 82nd....and she didn't want it just collecting dust.

Thanks again guys.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 03:14 PM UTC
Hola Darryl,

Here is a link to an aluminum Luftwaffe buckle. Not sure if this is the same one as yours or not but it does have a price on it.

http://web.iwebcenters.com/grenadiermilitaryantiques/item123093.ctlg
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 04:33 PM UTC
Thanks for the link Anders! That sure looks like it's in much better condition than mine, especially if it hasn't been refinished. I have to find out if I should consider refinishing mine of leave it as is. I'm thinking leaving it like it is would be best. I'm really not looking to sell it...but, as they say, everyone has their price.

Maybe Cody will trade me for one of his helmets!!

I can dream, can't I?
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 12:35 AM UTC
Darryl,

You would be best to leave the buckle exactly as it is. It will retain it's maimum value if it is not 'diddled-with'(fancy collector parlance).

Cody
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 01:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Darryl,

You would be best to leave the buckle exactly as it is. It will retain it's maimum value if it is not 'diddled-with'(fancy collector parlance).

Cody

Cody,
Those were my thoughts as well. I'll keep it just as it is. Thanks for your professional opinion.