_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Building a simple base
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 12:48 PM UTC
I would like to build a simple base to display a model. It only needs to be slightly larger than the model itself. The base is to represent a field of long grass. I only really build armour so I do not have any experience with this sort of thing. I have some old paint brush bristles for the grass but do not know what to anchor them to.
Thanks,
Andrew

YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 02:25 PM UTC
I've got just the thing you're looking for. Take a look over at PcModeler.com for a cheap, easy, model base.
Building a Quick and Easy Base/Diorama by Mark Fergel
Hope that helps!

YodaMan
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 02:54 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply YodaMan,
that's just what I had in mind.

Andrew

Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 10:15 AM UTC
Thx for the link Yoda... I'm about to make my first base (yeahyeah for the contest ofcourse) and this could just help me a bit to refresh memory.

ThX!
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 10:21 AM UTC
Danny ? Your FIRST base ? I thought you were a seasoned diorama man ! I look forward to see the result !!!
What do I spy with my (far-sighted) eye ? Almost another General here ! Five more posts and Eagle loses the eagle !
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 10:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Five more posts and Eagle loses the eagle

Godley and Cream (or however you spell it) used to sing.....MAKES ME WANNA CRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

about that first base....that should be first base in many years.... I used to do quite a lot of dio's in my younge years, but like painting figs.....I have to start all over again.... But I love it.
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 05:42 AM UTC
Thanks for the link Yoda I'll most likely use some tall grass on a base for my Bf 109.

BTW, Congrats to ya Danny on your promotion.....
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 03:53 PM UTC
Yup, I like that tutorial. Easy, fast and cheap.
I encourage you to check out the rest of PcModeler.com. Mark (the site admin) is a great guy and is ready to help you find what you need. There's some good reference galleries there too...
If this sounds like an advertisement, well... it is! :-)

YodaMan
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 06:04 PM UTC
I have found the neatest way to make a base for a model or diorama is also one of the cheapest and can provide some REALLY NEAT looks... and you can make any size you need! Take a read of the article I posted in Digital Diamonds on how to make a base with plaster of paris and common mold shapes you find around the house...

https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/79

There are several photos and "how to's" included... Here is an example of one I made from the plastic cover of a sweet roll lid!

Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 04:12 AM UTC
I just started the base yesterday and I have some recommendations to anyone attempting the same thing. The Flourists foam is great but is very flakey so be carefull. The most important tip I have is this;
After applying the plaster, allow it to dry for a few hours but come back when it is still soft.
Now, start placing the clumps of grass (paintbrush bristles) into the semi-dry plaster. Make sure that the bristles are stiff so they will penetrate. This technique allows you to place grass in not only the small holes that you make but everywhere. It also saves superglue and allows for more density of the grass which is key.
Andrew

bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 07:07 AM UTC
Oberst
What king of plaster and plaster gauze/bandage?? kind of thing did you use. I live in the boonies and my local craft shop laughed at me when i asked them about it. Are we talking about wall board tape and joint filler?? Gyp-rock mud as us canucks call it?? Or some sort of paper mache thing? And while I am at it do you know what they call Milliput in canada?? Again the store laughed at me when i asked for that. (maybe the people at the store are crazy, but it could be me)
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 07:21 AM UTC
I used a product called Bondex pre-mixed joint cement which is plaster that you can buy at your local hardware store. It is easy to work with and cleans-up with water. This plaster went over something called flourists foam which you can purchase at a store such as White Rose, a craft store(?) or a flourists. I glued the pieces of foam together with white glue which can be thinned with water to help anchor some of the small bits I used to add texture. I have just finished putting in all of the "grass" and it looks great. As I mentioned earlier, density is the key to making it look good. If it is too dispersed, it will look like a bad hair plug. I do not know what they call Millput in Canada, I assume Millput.
Anyway, I hope his helps and if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask,
Andrew

Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 10:33 AM UTC
Just to add some closure to this post, I am happy to say that I have finished the base I made and it looks excellent. It only took a short time to make and I had all of the neccessary materials on hand. Hope to post the pics sometime.
Until next time,
Andrew

2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 08:18 PM UTC
Bases are easy... really, they are.

Go to the local lumber store and see if they have a bin of "give-aways" in the warehouse or ask the guys. 3/4 plywood works great, has strength and does not flex in the sizes we would use. It also takes plaster and glues well.

I have also purchased bases that are like plaques at the local craft store. They are pine and come in various shapes and sizes, but can cost $6-8.

As for plaster, the stuff used on sheetrock works great. Take a little out of the tub (I buy it pre-mixed) and put it in a plastic dish (coolwhip dishes are great) and soften it up. You can mix powders, aclyic paints, pastels, etc, to get the right color.

It takes paint just fine, too.

sicktunez
Visit this Community
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
entire network: 153 Posts
KitMaker Network: 73 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 06:23 AM UTC
Permission to speak sirs....

im new here, and i've learned some ways to build diorama here. After trying some of the methods...i can see differences in each n every diorama that ive built. now ive finished 5 simple 1:35 diorama and cant stop thinking about building a new one everytime i get in to bed and my free time. well, most of the time actually...

what happened to me????
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 07:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Permission to speak sirs....

what happened to me????

Oh boy you got the bug to huh

Cliff
sicktunez
Visit this Community
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
entire network: 153 Posts
KitMaker Network: 73 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 09:49 AM UTC
is it okay if i just shape some flourist foam without using any plaster or miliput. Just spray some glue on it and sprinkle some fine sand for the base. And then repeat the same method with the static grass. Add some small bushes and thats it.
Ive tried it once and i think it looks okay .If nobody touch it of course.

I think its the cheapest method ever.
Flourist foam( from my moms store room)
Pva glue mixed with water, and a spray botle.
Fine sand and kitty litter (from the yard and my sisters kitty toilet)
Static grass( left overs)
Small bushes/linchens (HOrnby Scenic)

well...thats about it. heheh

viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 11:25 AM UTC
If you are looking for a good starter for a base....depending on how big you want....head over to your dollar store, or Wally World, and find yourself some cheap picture frames. they already have the border, just have to build up the middle with the above perscribed (and other) ways!!
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 11:22 AM UTC
Yoda

You are the jedi master. Thanx a million for that easy dio base. I plan to use this method soon!

Hiel Yoda
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 08:42 PM UTC
Have you checked out Docīs Dios ?
this site was one of my biggest influences and guides when i started modelling. It has so many great tips with well explained and pictorial aids. great for beginners and even as reference guide, which I still look at from time to time.
Check it out!!!
 _GOTOTOP