_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Canadian Firefly 1c
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 04:01 PM UTC
I've recently picked up the 48th scale MR Sherman Firefly 1c conversion for the Tamiya kit. Clean resin, with basic interior detail. With my limited references, the only photos I've come across are of Firefly 1c hybrids and Vc. I'd love to do it in CDN markings, but if need be will give it Polish markings. With the Canadians receiving stockpiles of British replacements in Italy, there had to be the occasional one. If so, which regiment?

thanks,
Frank
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 02:13 PM UTC
Sorry folks....delving deeper into this forum, I've come across the answer to my question,.... but I'm still in need of some clarification....

Based on the two photos taken at Zeeland of the Firefly 1c of the 5th Armoured Regiment, Am I to assume that all Firefly 1c had the cast 1 piece transmission housing, and if so, why the 3 piece housing on the 5c's. If it's a matter of scraping up old M4's for the 17pounder conversion from stockpiles in England, wouldn't these older shermans have come with the 3 piece housing?

Frank
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 05:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Based on the two photos taken at Zeeland of the Firefly 1c of the 5th Armoured Regiment, Am I to assume that all Firefly 1c had the cast 1 piece transmission housing, and if so, why the 3 piece housing on the 5c's. If it's a matter of scraping up old M4's for the 17pounder conversion from stockpiles in England, wouldn't these older shermans have come with the 3 piece housing?

The fundimental answer is that all M4A4s (the Sherman V) were built with 3 piece differential covers and all M4s were built with one piece covers regardless of when in time they were made.

Paul
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 09:02 AM UTC
Thanks Paul...

Frank
 _GOTOTOP