_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Scratch building a car in 1/35
ekaufman
Visit this Community
Haifa, Israel
entire network: 217 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2002 - 07:27 PM UTC
Due to the lack of civil cars in 1/35, i had an idea to scratcbuild them. now as there going to be mostly burned,smashed etc will it be possible to do that based on a line drawing like this:

any ideas or suggestion on how to do it?
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2002 - 08:54 PM UTC
No problem. You can scratchbuild ANYTHING. But some things take more time and effort than others, and some things are worth the effort more than others.
Scratchbuilding this car from styrene sheet will take you many nights, way past X-mas. And you'll need to be one fine scratchbuilder to pull it off.
If 100% likeness is not needed, I'd go out looking for another car type in the right scale. The first version of the VW Golf looks a lot like this car. I think you stand a fair chance of finding that. You make a mold of the car body, cast a resin copy. Than all you have to do is ADAPT the resin body. Mostly the front and the hood will need replacing, I think.
In a worst case scenario, at tleast make sure you have SOMETHING to start with, like the body of a Kübelwagen. That will make your life a lot easier.

BTW: this is a great find ! WIth one of those at the right scale, you have just the setting for any modern conflict in Russia, Kosovo, Bosnia, Afhanistan,... !
ekaufman
Visit this Community
Haifa, Israel
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2002 - 09:44 PM UTC
O.k
the yugo was just an example of how the drawings look, the question was more general
so your saying it's best to use as much as possible parts from exisiting kits like chasis etc.
and then build the body work around it.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2002 - 10:30 PM UTC
Exactly. Unless you are an experienced scratchbuilder with LOADS of time and nothing bette to do, its good to give yourself a head-start here !
Jan
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2002 - 11:38 PM UTC
Some companys sell cars in 1/32nd scale. That could help, as a starting point.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 04:07 AM UTC

Model Victoria's FIAT 500 "Topolino" can be made into a civilian car. No changes are necessary to the model other than the license plates, which are provided.

Here's a picture of a civilian one:

Nic
ekaufman
Visit this Community
Haifa, Israel
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 04:42 AM UTC
Well, this very nice.
But thats just one car, and its best suited to WW2/early 50's.
otehr then that we dont have any options, oh the CMK VW is one but also more suited to WW2
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 07:46 AM UTC
There are many 1/32 models of civilian cars and trucks out there that will work well for dios. Monogram and ERTL make quite a few. Most are american cars and trucks, 1970's to present. There are some jeeps and pickups out there as well. Some of the 1/32 race car models will also work for a good body and the interior area could be scratchbuilt. These work well for modern cars. With work, these can look good. I took a 1/32 scale tamiya mini motorized Toyota Land Cruiser and sratched an interior for it for a UN vehicle. it came out really nice. I used a land rover chasis and seats from th spares box. It doesn't have to be perfact, just convincing. Here is a photo of the UN Land Cruiser. Landcruiser There is also a great 1/32 monogram Impala police car that was just re-released as part of the american hearoes set with a good 1/32 fire truck. This can be used in any desert storm dio since Impalas are all over the middle east they are a status symbol. In Kuwait, most people druve American cars. they especially like Impalas and Suburbans. Hope this helps.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 06:51 PM UTC
I have found quite a few 1920 - 1940's automobiles cast in 1:36 and 1:38th scale. They are usually around $10-12 a piece, and you can find adds for them in magazines like Popular Science and INVENTION. i also found a few believe it or not, in the toy aisle of my local grocery store or at "Toys 'r' Us".

I have two "Dusenbergs" and a 1938 Ford truck that I am working on right now. It is fairly easy to unscrew the kits, detail the heck out of the insides (usually very nice exteriors, with loads of detail, but NOTHING realistic at all about the interiors!), and then paint them as desired. They work GREAT in 1:35 scale... here is an example....

ekaufman
Visit this Community
Haifa, Israel
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 08:06 AM UTC
i know there are 1/32 cars, how would they appear next to a 1/35 AFV.
wouldnt they be way too big?
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 09:09 AM UTC
I would suspect you would rather have an underscale car beside a 1/35 tank than an overscale one. Of course, if you want to show how small a tank is, like a Pz I for example, than a 1/32 car might make it even more noticeable.

Nic
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 08:33 PM UTC
1:32 scale is just about 10% LARGER than 1:35 scale, and that is about the maximum difference that the human eye can tolerate without saying "Hey - something is REALLY wrong here!"

With few instances, 1:32 really makes the 1:35 scale look dimunitive... I think the 1:36 scale (1.5% different) is almost undistinguishable from 1:35. There are also diecast 1:35 and 1:38th cars that are available on the market for diecast metal... just go to GOOGLE.COM and do a search on "DIECAST" + "1:34" (or 36, or 38, etc) and you'll find quite a few mfrs.

To really illustrate how out of proportion the 32 and 35 scales are, draw a 1:32 door on a sheet of cardboard or paper, and then stand a 1:35 soldier next to it... he looks like a child! At the same time, a 1:32 soldier next to a 1:35 door makes him look like Shaquille O'neal... same goes for things like cars...
 _GOTOTOP