_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Help in locating info
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 08:49 AM UTC
Hi all,
There was a topic, post, whatever, a little while ago showing a Diorama of a LCM unloading a M4 on a beach with a DUKW sunk beside it with a howitzer onboard.

I've looked and searched a number of different ways and can't seem to find it, if anyone can direct me there, THANK YOU very much.
Bob
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 12:59 AM UTC
If no one remembers, or you haven't had the time to see this, maybe someone can direct me to a site or how to concerning sealing a contained or box so that all that water (Epoxy) doesn't leak all over the place.
Thats what I'm really after.

Thanks again,
Bob
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 01:45 AM UTC
The research I have is hardcopy images on DDay. Nothing quick and easy to get to you.

On water - I have used this as water
http://dioramas.armorama.com//features/150
I seal and "dam" it with regular strip styrene a little bit of CA at the corners and extra masking tape for strength. I use masking tape at the joints with the non plastic areas and really push the tape in to get a tight seal.

Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 01:46 AM UTC
Bob,

Do you remember if it was a completed dio? Was it part of a feature or just a thread? What scale? Any idea on the time frame?

Rudi
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 04:42 AM UTC
Sorry Rudi, Yep it was just within the last week, someone posted it in a response to another post, I believe it was 1/35, but don't remember them stating it, it was completed and was a really excellent diorama.

Scott, Thanks I never thought of using resin. I was going with 2 different products. The first being an Acrylic water kit. Their advertised function is Mix it up and pour into a vase with fake flowers and it looks like real water in the vase. The 2nd was Woodland Scenics river waterfall kit; I was going to use this for the upper layers since the surface was going to be a little more churned up.

My major problem is that before this acrylic hardens is is VERY fluid, just like water. so it has to be sealed completly and very strong since it will be about 3 inchs deep.

Is the resin yellow in color or clear and you have add color? Like those 2 dios by the way.

Thanks for your time,
Bob
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 05:08 AM UTC
Lance
The resin is clear as bell and you can add color if you want to. I poured the first one in about 3 layers.
If you are going to 'expose' the waters edge like I did and you need a tight seal try my sytrene 'dam' and seal it with some melted beeswax/parafin from the candle section (see my heat comment next paragraph). If you're not going to expose the edge you can just use a good strong 2 part epoxy resin glue on a damn.

One Huge recommendation on water is to test it test it test it and don't forget to test it. Try it on something you can throw away. The heat from resin could affect parts, the stuff may dry funky and colored, it may not dry, it may not give you the results you want and you can't undo water affects.
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 05:25 AM UTC
I've never used the Scenics stuff before, but this acrylic I have. Thats why I'm looking for a good way to seal and something that will peal off after it drys. The biggest problem with this stuff is that it will crack if it's in the sun, thats why I thought of useing the Scenics for the upper layers. I'll do a liner with some stryene, but I think I'd better go with a plywood reinforcement on the sides. I'm hopeing that stryene will pull away after. I'll try sealing the base with the parifin, I was thinking something like lard, that I could just wipe away. Thanks for the tips.

That is why I was looking for that other post, It was a masterful job and just how I wanted mine to go.

Thanks again,
Bob

(I'll also fix my name) :-)
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 05:59 PM UTC
Changed my mind, once again. Went with Plexiglas instead of styrene. I figure if it sticks and will not release from the acyrlic than you'll still be able to see through it. Spray a little Pam on the inside before I pour, and it should come right off after it hardens.

This is real scarry since I'm devoting a LVT and a M4 and if this turns out junk alot goes down hill. Whats live without a few chances.

Please if anyone reads this and remembers that post let me know. The how to discribed in the post covers exactly what I want to do.

I'm saving everything in favorites from now on.

Thanks again,
Bob
 _GOTOTOP