_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Singapore / 新加坡
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
T34/85 Mod 44
blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 394 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 05:31 PM UTC
Hi all,

Would like to share with you guys my latest work: T34/85 (Mod 44).

Declaration:
Built completely out of nox
Knew that Russian tanks then seldom get the chance to rust, but still like to try the effects (not completely successful).

Pls do comment!

Cheers!

umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 09:26 PM UTC
I think it looks good Dan... Nice build OOTB. What kit is it? Very nice colour too. What colours did you use?

I personally think the rust effect is fine. What did you use to make the rust effect?

BTW... did you use the same "rust" to weather the other parts of the tank (I believe you're trying to stimulate dirt)? Like the side of the turret, headlight, etc? Coz they got the same colour as "rust".. and I don't think places like the glass portion of headlights would rust? (I may be wrong)..
blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 09:50 PM UTC
Hi,

The kit is from DML and I enjoyed the construction. As for the color, I used Tamiya's XF-26, Deep Green.

I used rust washes (burnt sienna) followed by dry brushing with Tamiya's flat brown to simulate dirt building on rust.

The redness on the tracks was an attempt to simulate red soil and was done by rubbing brown china pen to get the red residue and then another layer of washes to soften then to create baked mud effect. Another dry brushing of Flat brown was done to touch up.

Agreed with you that the side of turret and headlight should not be rusting and i am truly trying to simulate dirt, could have used a different color to simulate rust.

Cheers!

Argrillion
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 447 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 10:17 PM UTC
Cool build Dan. I believe some rust on the exhaust pipes and spare tracks will help.

Hope to use your tank pics here for my next build - T34/76
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 390 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 11:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I used rust washes (burnt sienna) followed by dry brushing with Tamiya's flat brown to simulate dirt building on rust.

hey dan, i tried to wash with burnt siena too..but the effect never comes out like this..u got anytips to share on the rusting part?
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 481 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 11:49 PM UTC
Nice build Dan. The subtle weathering is just nice. The rust looks believable to me. oVerall, a nice one!
blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 01:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cool build Dan. I believe some rust on the exhaust pipes and spare tracks will help.

Hope to use your tank pics here for my next build - T34/76

Thanks, was toying with that too during the build, but was afraid of overdoing. Will apply some touch up and see how's the effect is like.

T34/76 is on my list as well!

Cheers!

blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

hey dan, i tried to wash with burnt siena too..but the effect never comes out like this..u got anytips to share on the rusting part?

The only additional stuff I used was the brown china graph pen. The redness mixed with burnt sienna plus a touch of umber did the trick. But be careful, the china graph needs lots of lacquer thinner to dissolve it, I would suggest you mix it in the bottle be applying, lest it spoils the base coat.

Cheers!
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 02:42 AM UTC
Hey Dan...
What did you use to "make" the Burnt Sienna wash?
I'm assuming oil and spirit/turpentine?

blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 12:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Dan...
What did you use to "make" the Burnt Sienna wash?
I'm assuming oil and spirit/turpentine?

Yup, that's right, using Windsor Newton oils plus the turpentine.

Cheers!
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 02:20 AM UTC
Dan, you did a great job on this kit!

The only thing i can add is that you should try 'chipping' the paintwork. Russian tanks in that era are slapped on with really low quality paint.

But if you do not want to add anything in then its fine, as its already looking good!

blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 12:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dan, you did a great job on this kit!

The only thing i can add is that you should try 'chipping' the paintwork. Russian tanks in that era are slapped on with really low quality paint.

But if you do not want to add anything in then its fine, as its already looking good!

Thanks Danny, for the compliment. I am still trying to improve.
I will try that out in the next Russian build, maybe a T34/76.

BTW, you mentioned using powders to create dust before, what kind, where to buy?
And also, how do you create a rough texture for the rusted exhaust? Saw that in other pictures and that looks great!

Cheers!

Cheers!
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 01:51 AM UTC
Hi

About the 'powder', it depends whether you want good quality ones or lower quality ones...

For the lower quality ones (much cheaper), you can go to bookstores and get chalk pastels (not oil based ones). Scrab the pastels or sand them to get fine dust and use the dust to weather the vehicle.

Higher quality ones are those pigments powders manufactured by companies, there are 2 good ones: "MIG" and "MMP". The pigments are much more finer and their range of colours are wide. Of cause, they are more expensive.

I cant help you on the texture thing...I read somewhere about 'painting' liquid cement onto the surface and then while still wet, use a stiff brush to dabble onto it.

Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 481 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 03:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And also, how do you create a rough texture for the rusted exhaust? Saw that in other pictures and that looks great!

I've been trying out something like this before. But not for an exhaust,but for a 1/16 German helmet. Looking at history photos, noticed that the helmets are sometimes rough in texture. I Mix some paint and fine sand or powder. The mix will have a fine texture. Then just brush on the helmet (or exhaust). Let it dry thoroughly and u shd be able to see a rough texture on the helmet/ exhaust. then paint the actual color, for exhaust paint more rust. The helmet turned out O.K. I'm planing to use this technique on my T34/76 exhaust. Will see how it turns out.
blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 12:48 PM UTC
Thanks guys,

Will definitely try that in the next possible projects.

Cheers!

_GOTOTOP