TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Favorite Sci-Fi "military"
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 04:09 AM UTC

All that other movie talk was just warming up. Now for some big time warfare. Move in the battle cruisers, crank up those droids. Beam me up, Scottie !

"How do I get out of this chickens**t outfit ?" - Aliens

What's your favorite Sci Fi military outfit ?
Jan
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 04:31 AM UTC
Most likely since it resembles a modern armored vehicle, mine is the APC from "Aliens". A slick hot rod of a vehicle, but doesn't look like it would be worth a darn off road. That would fall to the Trade Federation tank, but it is a little too high in profile. Too bad the APC did not have interior detailing or even open hatch options.

A nice "aircraft" is Monogram (now Revell-Monogram) Colonial Viper, but only if you add the MMI cockpit interior and landing gear or the launch rail. That fighter looked like something that was possible.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 04:36 AM UTC
I think the whole Aliens hardware looked great. The spaceship with the military bay, but mostly those "drop ships" landing the APC ! Looks like a cross-breeding between an Apache, a Hind and the next nasty bug you wouldn't like to find in your Kinshasa hotel room !

What I like about the aliens crew and their toys : they are real, seasoned soldiers. No polished armor and clean-shaven soldiers (except Vasquez maybe), but REAL warmongers. They've clearly been around !
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 05:12 AM UTC
Third vote for the Aliens weapons and vehicles. The Marines looked like they could kick @ss and wouldn't give a @#^%.

Second would be the nice-looking Rebel Alliance gear and equipment from the Empire Strikes Back. Surprised me, as they didn't quite look like the rag-tag outfit they were characterized as years earlier in ANH.

Equal with this would be the Terran Forces as displayed in the movie Starship Troopers. They didn't do the drop-suit from the original novel, but I liked the ground and ground support equipment. Mini-Nukes rule!

Gunnie
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 05:42 AM UTC
First would definately be the USMC Marines from Aliens. Thier whole attitude summed up in one quote, "Just tell me one thing... Where they are."
Next, would be the forces of the Galactic Empire. Other than the fact that they are the most inaccurate troops ever seen, they get tons of points for style... Huge Star Destroyers, swarms of TIEs, millions of troopers and of course the giant walkers.
If I could have a working real-life vehicle from any movie, it'd be a hard choice but I'd pick the Star Destroyer. It includes all the walkers, troops and ties you'd need for some fun.

YodaMan
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 06:28 AM UTC
Vasquez...clean shaven...lol! Aliens has my vote as well. The Sulaco ruled as far as a ship goes. You gotta love the whole Star Wars series as well with all that hardware.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 06:38 AM UTC
I always loved the military vehichles in the Godzilla movies especially those lasers on the tank chassis If anime counts then I gotta go with Star Blazers They used the battleship Yamoto It has a really cool gun that could destroy planets
Chad
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 06:39 AM UTC
There must be hundreds of modelers having the time of their lives to build the hardware in those SW movies ! Though it's getting to be "more of the same" after five movies, they still manage to sneak in something new and wonderful with each new movie.

I was wondering which movie was the first to have one of those gigantic spaceships sliding by the camera for minutes ... and minutes. Was it the Nostromo in Alien 1?, was it 2001 ASO, was it Star Wars ? I just love those images. Someone should stick all those pieces together and make that one long movie of spaceships floating by !
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 08:37 AM UTC
If you want a long shot of a huge spaceship rambling overhead, rent the movie 'Spaceballs'. It's a pretty dumb spoof of Star Wars, but there's a few quotable lines in the movie. (including my new quote)

YodaMan
'Captain, proceed to ludicrous speed!'
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 98 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 08:43 AM UTC
I liked the cyborgs (can't remember their names or is that it?) from Battlestar Galactica. The silver guys with the one red eye that swept from side to side.

Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 08:53 AM UTC
CYLONS. Thats what they where called Game.
#1 has to be Aliens. Did anybody see the extended directors cut. I want one of those remote centry machine guns for my apartment.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 09:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did anybody see the extended directors cut. I want one of those remote centry machine guns for my apartment.

Yeah! I still need to pick up that special edition DVD. There's also a pretty cool book with tons of info, drawings and pictures of the marines and thier equipment. I don't remember what it's called, my brother has it.
I still remeber the first time I saw Alien... after that I had nightmares for about a month!

YodaMan
'Captain, proceed to ludicrous speed!'
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 03:49 AM UTC
Strange... I also got my best nightmares ever after seeing Aliens.
One more vote to Corporal Hicks and the crew!
There was some neat hardware in the first Terminator as well. James Cameron seems to have a "thing" with big guns and high testosterone levels...
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 07:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Strange... I also got my best nightmares ever after seeing Aliens.
One more vote to Corporal Hicks and the crew!
There was some neat hardware in the first Terminator as well. James Cameron seems to have a "thing" with big guns and high testosterone levels...

... and buff chicks...

Gunnie
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2002 - 03:06 AM UTC
Anybody remember a Japanese sci-fi show called Johnny Socko? When I was a kid I always wanted that giant robot Just imagine talkinf into a wrist watch and telling that robot what to do
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2002 - 10:50 PM UTC
I kinda like the heavy machinery, the mechs, in the Mechwarrior computer game series. Stomping all over the place with lasers and missles blasting overhead.

YodaMan
'If you walk softly and carry to big of a stick, you'll sink.'
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2002 - 10:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anybody remember a Japanese sci-fi show called Johnny Socko? When I was a kid I always wanted that giant robot Just imagine talkinf into a wrist watch and telling that robot what to do

Johnny Socko? I never saw that one. Was it an Ultraman-type show?

Gunnie
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 06:50 AM UTC
Gunny Johnny Socko was about a young Japenese boy 10yrs? who got control of this giant robot To control it he talked into what looked like a wrist watch This robot had an x-ray beam could shoot rockets out of its fingers ,had an atomic punch and could fly It was out on video a few years ago but I doubt if its out anymore
Chad