_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Singapore / 新加坡
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Picking out the Fake from the Genuine
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 655 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 03:45 AM UTC
With todays availability of 1/72 CANDO tanks from dragon and other brands, how do we spot a fake entry from a genuine 1/72 hand made tank?
I come to realize that CANDO tanks come with a container and a base too. How convenient, i think at the end of the day its up to individuals to earn their medals with real model making.
Here are what i thought would help in spotting fake or genuine
1) oversize brush stroke? (genuine)
2) superb rendering of weathered parts and shadows(CANDO?)

What do you guys think.
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 390 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 12:41 AM UTC
seen the cando tanks and its tracks juz now when i was at tiong bahru...
i tink its kinda cheating if someone enters a campaign with a cando tank...its too good to be in a campaign...it would truly destroy the purpose of entering a campaign with such a tank...
dont u guys agree?
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 12:43 AM UTC
Here are the Cando
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 12:45 AM UTC

Outstanding workmanship right?
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 12:48 AM UTC

eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 12:51 AM UTC
The above examples are from the scale of 1:144 recently i also saw those 1/72 tanks from dragon i think or was it tamiya. I can't resist the temptation too. Its rather very detail
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 02:24 AM UTC
I read somewhere here that someone in a model show brought a ready made tank, weathered it and present it to the judges. He got prizes (forgot what's his score though).

It's not really fair. Oh well...

eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 03:22 PM UTC
Yeah tell me about it..
I know a guy who place cando tanks on the forum but after reading this thread i guess he removed the pic..
SiaoMouse
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 10 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With todays availability of 1/72 CANDO tanks from dragon and other brands, how do we spot a fake entry from a genuine 1/72 hand made tank?
I come to realize that CANDO tanks come with a container and a base too. How convenient, i think at the end of the day its up to individuals to earn their medals with real model making.
Here are what i thought would help in spotting fake or genuine
1) oversize brush stroke? (genuine)
2) superb rendering of weathered parts and shadows(CANDO?)

What do you guys think.

I can't agree that oversize brush stroke mean not candy toys & done by modellers.
Same goes for superb rendering of weathered parts and shadows.
Many modellers may not be good at painting or doing fine, tiny details, but does not mean all can't do it.
I had build/converted & hand painted this, including the complex SS camo...

from a candy toy kit & added 1/35 German WW2 equipments.

& it's only 4cm in height when completed.

I oso had completed a Eduard 1/72 scale aircraft which parts are all consist of brass photo-etched & with only 6 plastic parts.
Many modellers in sg told me it can't be build which I had proved them wrong.

The abilty to built in large scale with super details & good paint job is nothing.
If I can't do better or if my skill lose to those Jap brand candy toys/gasaphons which are made & painted in China, I wun dare called myself a modeller!!! :-)
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 481 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 11:43 PM UTC
Cool! Send in more pics of your work.. I especially like the Bionic Kraut!...I believe it's 1/35? The camo looks good. The bi-plane is also great. In 1/72, the parts must be so small..Great work!
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 01:47 AM UTC
Nice stuff there siaomouse.! More pictures please... of your builds! Love the camo on the "Bionic Kraut" and the 1/72 Fokker Menace!

Have to agree with you on your point about those made in China "toys" as compared to models that we make.. Those "toys" are machine made.. unlike ours which includes, time, effort, money!

Hey Psyfool... the so called "Bionic Kraut" is scale 1/180 from the picture posted by siaomouse... it's the conversion kindof thing...

The thing that I don't get is how come you can use 1/35 equipments on that bionic beauty because you posted it's only 4cm in height once built and figures of 1/35 are at least 5cm (estimation), so the scale of the equipments used should be a little off... (Correct me if i'm wrong at this siaomouse )
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 03:46 AM UTC
dude i think CAndo 1/35 figures are hand painted. Well that was the last time i heard it.
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 481 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 01:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

dude i think CAndo 1/35 figures are hand painted. Well that was the last time i heard it.

I have one of the Cando figs. I tink they are hand painted, but not very well done...That will be the first and last Can Do figs...
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah tell me about it..
I know a guy who place cando tanks on the forum but after reading this thread i guess he removed the pic..

Who's he? Is he Singaporean?

eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 04:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yeah tell me about it..

I hope not.. Maybe he is very near
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 03:35 PM UTC
Everyone here on this little sub forum is a SIngaporean except for one or two.

Be direct about it, maybe you are talking about me? I hope not.

umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 - 05:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You mean there are non-Singaporeans (I'm refering to people who don't reside in Sg) in the Singapore Community Forum?? That's interesting...

Quoted Text

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gunnery Sgt eerie.. I would suggest not saying who he/she is. Just keep it to yourself as it is.

p.s. I don't know who the person eerie is refering to... I would prefer not knowing... Sorry Danny if you're curious to find out... I just thought it's better to not know. But maybe eerie could PM Danny the name if Danny's still curious... Should not embarass the person (when the name is revealed) openly... That's my opinion..
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 01:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You mean there are non-Singaporeans (I'm refering to people who don't reside in Sg) in the Singapore Community Forum?? That's interesting...

Quoted Text

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gunnery Sgt eerie.. I would suggest not saying who he/she is. Just keep it to yourself as it is.

p.s. I don't know who the person eerie is refering to... I would prefer not knowing... Sorry Danny if you're curious to find out... I just thought it's better to not know. But maybe eerie could PM Danny the name if Danny's still curious... Should not embarass the person (when the name is revealed) openly... That's my opinion..

Well JM, giving out the name here will bring more problems to our small forum. There is a saying i learn in the army.
"He who trip on the claymore, feel the pain"
Maybe i was planting a claymore and someone trip on it and shouting out now?
SiaoMouse
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 09:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The thing that I don't get is how come you can use 1/35 equipments on that bionic beauty because you posted it's only 4cm in height once built and figures of 1/35 are at least 5cm (estimation), so the scale of the equipments used should be a little off... (Correct me if i'm wrong at this siaomouse )

Erm... u heard abt the anime titled, Patlabor?
In that anime, all their weapon are bigger version of real weapon.
For eg: The 1/35 scale MG42 my 1/180 scale PatLabor Brocken is holding is suppose to be a 1/180 scale MG42, not 1/35 anymore.
If my Brocken is 1/35 scale, then the MG42 will be in real scale abt 1/6 or 1/8 compare to 1/35.

Oh, btw... those candy toys or gasaphons r not painted by machines, but by hands.
SiaoMouse
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 09:53 AM UTC
Ok... u ppl asked me to post more pixs of my works.
I only hv pixs of my recent works... well not that recently, but....
I really regrated not taking pixs of my eariler works which included armour & aircraft models.
I switched fm doing military stuff to sci-fi/anime abt nearly 10yrs ago.
I dun hv many of my works wif me now cos I sold them. Some to oversea even.
It's only when I hv free time, thn I took pixs of my finished models & my time spend on my hobbies r quite limited.
Some works of mine was sold off so fast once it's finished tt I dun even had time to photo it...... haiz...
Many of my finished models was once displayed in certain model shops before.
Please bear in mind tt those CGI pixs r done for fun, not to decieve any1 as I oso display the actual model in my album.
So, here goes.....
http://photobucket.com/albums/b197/SiaoMouse/

Only whn I was uploading my pixs thn I realised how little pixs I took of my works!
Many wasn't even recorded & most are not wif me now!
I din know I have so little pixs of my works to show for so many yrs of doing tis hobby!!!
Where hv all the time gone to?!?!

Btw, I'm not doing tis as a professional, only for fun, but whn fun come wif $$$, y not?
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 02:56 PM UTC
Hey... those are very nice models! No wonder they get sold so quickly..!

Thanks for sharing those photos with us... the only problem is that I'm not really a "pro" in anime. So I don't know how a PatLabor Brocken, etc... looks like. But the paint job + camo looks great.! Keep it coming.. would love to see more of your builds when you can snap some shots of them... any current builds?
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 03:32 AM UTC
Haha, i guess Eerie is refering to me about using cando tanks. :-) :-)

Maybe i should take that as a compliment, as i build all my works myself, though not amazing builds but i'm happy with them.

eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 01:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Haha, i guess Eerie is refering to me about using cando tanks. :-) :-)

Maybe i should take that as a compliment, as i build all my works myself, though not amazing builds but i'm happy with them.

Danny, What is your problem? Did i mentioned your name? Did i hint anything into your court? Like i say earlier, if you trip on a claymore, you ll feel the pain. As a moderator, i think your should grow up..
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 06:18 PM UTC
In this forum, there is no one else (to my knowledge) who does 1/72 scale armour. In your first few posts, you clearly mentioned
Quoted Text

I know a guy who place cando tanks on the forum but after reading this thread i guess he removed the pic

Emphasise on the "THIS THREAD" and the reason why i suspect you are talking about me is very clear cut. Seems that in one of the thread, some of my pics are red Xs, so you might think i removed them cos i " read the thread " .

To me, it seems that you ARE the one having a problem with me when i got the post of moderator.

Oh well...I'm not gonna argue further, do not wanna spoil the atmosphere in this forum and be labeled "childish" like someone here clearly is.

eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 09:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In this forum, there is no one else (to my knowledge) who does 1/72 scale armour. In your first few posts, you clearly mentioned
Quoted Text

I know a guy who place cando tanks on the forum but after reading this thread i guess he removed the pic

Emphasise on the "THIS THREAD" and the reason why i suspect you are talking about me is very clear cut. Seems that in one of the thread, some of my pics are red Xs, so you might think i removed them cos i " read the thread " .

To me, it seems that you ARE the one having a problem with me when i got the post of moderator.

Oh well...I'm not gonna argue further, do not wanna spoil the atmosphere in this forum and be labeled "childish" like someone here clearly is.

What are u talking about Danny, look you are the moderator, no 2 ways about it. You are implying that i have a problem with your appointment as a moderator. You felt that i was refering to you cos i have doubts in your modelling skills? Look boy, i ve been making models since i was 9, and i think its still average skills for me. You can go around replying to this thread and trying to win some sympathy as the "mark" moderator. Look the thread was harmless, you came in asking for names and react. Like i say GROW UP...
Or did you trip on another claymore again...
 _GOTOTOP