Post your general item needs here.
107MM(4.2") Mortars
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2005 - 06:14 PM UTC
I am in search of as many complete 107MM (4.2") mortar systems, related equipment and ammo in 1/35 as I can get hold of. The best source for these items is the Tamiya M106A1 U.S. Armoured S.P. Mortar kit. I am particularly interested in the pieces used for a complete ground mounted version, which includes the baseplate that hangs on the side of the carrier, not the flat one shown on the front of the directions.

I would gladly pay postage and/or may even have something to trade, depending on what you're looking for.

I am requesting these to use on several future projects based on my days as an ammunition handler at Ft. Bragg and as a mortar gunnery instructor at Ft. Benning.

Please PM me if you can help out. Thanks!
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 01:35 AM UTC
I believe I have some of the old Tamiya mortar team sets that were sold separately. PM me if interested.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 01:49 AM UTC
I have a couple too, PM sent.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 01:50 AM UTC
I think I have one of the mortar teams as well.

I do need to pick up a M106 kit for the MR Modellbau M1064 conversion and when I do you can have the 4.2" parts.

Paul
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 03:54 AM UTC
I forgot about the seperate mortar crew kit. Those would be even better, no kit to break up...

Sabot & Gino,

I sent you both a PM. Thanks!

Paul,

I have the M106A1 kit, opened & minus the mortar system (I used it for the "Incoming" campaign). If you want it, let me know. Thanks to you as well!

ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 08:15 AM UTC
Darryl,

Sounds good to me. PM sent. I'll dig for the ground mount set later.

Paul
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 08:18 AM UTC
Paul,
Let me know what you think about the MR Modellbau M1064 conversion kit. I have thought about doing an M1064 as well, but was told the MR Modellbau M1064 conversion set is pretty bad. Kevin Keefe, of Mortars in Miniature, advised against it.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 10:26 AM UTC
Darryl,

I dug out the ground mount set and contrary to what it shows on the box front it includes the entire base plate in 2 pieces. In fact, I think it's the same sprues as were included in the M106A1 kit. So you've got everything you need minus the aiming poles and maybe a charge box and the sight box.

Can't wait to see what you are going to do with so many mortars. One time at Ft. Hood, we had to shoot off the remaining ammo allotment and we had our 6 gun tracks plus 6 ground mounts from another unit. Feeding from both side of the gun and we had illum 12 wide and stacked 6 deeps. I wish I had a picture.

Some other fun times as Curry Mortar South(or Center):
http://flashpages.prodigy.net/ptruhe/armorref/Mortars/m106_2.mpg

Gino,

I've given the MR set a cursory glance and it doesn't look any more scary than the Elite Modellbau 120mm panzermorser conversion and in fact the resin looks a little better. The instructions are a little vague and the photocopy wipes out the detail in any of the included photographs but you can see them here on this webpage:
http://www.mrmodellbau.de/mr/d/workshop.html
For those of us not lucky enough to have M1064 laying around the motorpool, the 4/2004 issue of Militar Fahrzeug has an 5 page article on the M1064 with action and detail color photos. On sale for $4.99 at Squadron http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=TP3404 Issue also includes 12 pages on early East German armor, 5 pages of a Bundeswehr exercise, 8 pages article with B/W photos of the SdKfz 232 and other assorted stuff. Mit English captions.

Paul
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 10:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gino,

I've given the MR set a cursory glance and it doesn't look any more scary than the Elite Modellbau 120mm panzermorser conversion and in fact the resin looks a little better. The instructions are a little vague and the photocopy wipes out the detail in any of the included photographs but you can see them here on this webpage:
http://www.mrmodellbau.de/mr/d/workshop.html
For those of us not lucky enough to have M1064 laying around the motorpool, the 4/2004 issue of Militar Fahrzeug has an 5 page article on the M1064 with action and detail color photos. On sale for $4.99 at Squadron http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=TP3404 Issue also includes 12 pages on early East German armor, 5 pages of a Bundeswehr exercise, 8 pages article with B/W photos of the SdKfz 232 and other assorted stuff. Mit English captions.

Paul

DSoesn't look too bad. Maybe I will eventually give it a go. Thanks and keep us posted on progress.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 12:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Darryl,

I dug out the ground mount set and contrary to what it shows on the box front it includes the entire base plate in 2 pieces. In fact, I think it's the same sprues as were included in the M106A1 kit. So you've got everything you need minus the aiming poles and maybe a charge box and the sight box.

Can't wait to see what you are going to do with so many mortars. One time at Ft. Hood, we had to shoot off the remaining ammo allotment and we had our 6 gun tracks plus 6 ground mounts from another unit. Feeding from both side of the gun and we had illum 12 wide and stacked 6 deeps. I wish I had a picture.

Paul,

I hope to do a dio with four gun emplacements similar to what we did at Bragg. That will include Jeeps and some modified 4.2" trailers towed behind them. It'll be a major build, but I have plenty of memories from which to choose. I also want to do a dio of a 4.2" mortar as it would have been set up for trainees at Malone 25 (where they conducted live fire exercises for the ground mounted 4.2" and track mounted 81MM). There are a few pictures of this on Kevin Keefe"s site www.mortarsinminiature.com
I have several other ideas as well, such as a single gun position as I remember it while assigned as an ammo handler at Bragg.
After I get through the next several campaigns I'm in, I want to focus on the mortars for awhile.
Thanks again. Your M106A1 will be shipped tomorrow.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 03:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul,
Let me know what you think about the MR Modellbau M1064 conversion kit. I have thought about doing an M1064 as well, but was told the MR Modellbau M1064 conversion set is pretty bad. Kevin Keefe, of Mortars in Miniature, advised against it.

Ah Sir... My experiences with MR Modellbau in general have been pretty bad. I have not seen the M1064 conversion 'in the flesh' so I really can not comment per se on the conversion itself.

m:-)

11Charlie... I have 4.2" parts if you need more than is already being offered.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 01:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

11Charlie... I have 4.2" parts if you need more than is already being offered.

Kevin,

I'll take all I can get if you want to part with any. I'm sure to make a mistake here or there, so spare parts would be appreciated. Just let me know what you want for them. Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP