_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Model show and contest write-ups for your mod
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 05:36 AM UTC
I would like so advice on how to write about what you have done to your model for model shows and contest. Example: I am scratch building my Panzer IV H/J in 1/72nd scale. Each componet such as the turret, fighting compartment, drivers compartment, just to name a few things I have done, has it's own discription of what I have done, how many peices to it and how much time it took to build the particular section. Unfortunately, without loosing any information on what I did to the kit, so far I have finished the turret, turret floor and the main gun. As of today, I now have 4 1/2 pages of this write-up. Is there a way to condense this without leaving any detail about what I did out?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 05:54 AM UTC
I always write up a small brief on what I did to the model. I find that if you don't - you tend to run into judges who have no idea what you've done on a kit, if they're not familiar with building one themselves. I've heard many comment to me that "it looks like you built it right out of the box". Though that is a compliment to modeling skill - it's exasperating too.

Many modelers compile a whole photo book on their models and bring them to the display with the model for reference, but I have yet run into an instance where I've had the time to "read" such a tome! A condensed version usually suffices on a small card for those interested.

Send me your e-mail, and I'll send you a copy of what I've used with success for all occasions.

Gunnie
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 08:03 AM UTC
As much as I like reading the full text versions of modelers work in magazine articles, I find as a local volunteer judge I rarely have time to read the full length descriptions.

And actually, for most of the upper New England local shows, the judging decision never really gets to that level anyway. If you've built cleanly, painted well, and finished realistically and evenly, you've probably already placed, if not won.

For larger shows like AMPS, I like to take a couple of digital camera photos after construction and prior to painting. I place them in a word processing document and draw arrows to specific features and detailing. This visually calls out the additions to the base kit since they contrast with the detail parts and allows me to briefly describe the work done.

I still have a full lenght 'brag-book' attached if someone really wants/needs to know how many bolts I added or how I modified the kit part.

Mike
 _GOTOTOP