_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Springbok Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Olifant Mk 2 upgrade!
Graugrun
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 125 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 05:17 PM UTC
Just thought I would let those know who have not heard yet, that a contract has been awarded to BAE OMC (South Africa) for the upgrade of the Olifant Mk 1 B to the much improved MK 2 standard.

This involves a completely different shaped turret that looks something like that of the German Leopard 2 A5 or A6.

I assume this means that a brand new tank purchase is off the cards for a while. However this upgrade will certainly propel our Olifants up to a much better and deadlier version than what they already are .

I have been told that Botswana are getting the German Leopard 2 A4, so this may have promted this upgrade.

Whatever the reason is, I'm certainly pleased with it.

I do not know as to how many Olifants will be upgraded yet. Time will tell.

I still hope one day however that we further develop the TTD and eventualy manufacture it for ourselves instead of buying an overseas MBT.

Anyhow - roll on the MK2!!!!!

Graugrun
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 05:45 PM UTC
That's fantastic news indeed!

Now... who's gonna produce a Olifant Mk 2 conversion set for the Tamiya or Academy 1/35 Centurions????? That is if they both not OOP....

Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 11:14 PM UTC
A bit more info about the Mk2 turret for those as ignorant as me.. :-) :-)

GlobalSecurity

Quoted Text

Olifant 2

LIW, a division of Denel, has developed the Olifant 2 main battle tank turret, which can be fitted on an upgraded Olifant Mk1B chassis, providing the tank with hunter killer modes of operation, fire on the move and day and night time engagement. The turret can be armed with either LIW’s GT8 105 mm or an LIW 120 mm smoothbore gun and features periscopic stabilised day/thermal gunner’s sight with laser rangefinder, panoramic commander’s sight, full solution fire control system and modular armour package.

This is a further upgrade of the Olifant Mk 1B. Improvements have been made to armor sloping in the turret and hull front, and composite armor has been installed in the turret and glacis. Versions with 105mm and 120mm guns were built, with the 120mm-armed version more common. An upgraded ballistic computer has been added to the fire control system. This tank can be regarded as midway between the Olifant Mk 1B and the technology in the Tank Technology Demonstrator (TTD).

Vorster
Visit this Community
North-West, South Africa
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 08:53 PM UTC
I thought the TTD had been scrapped. It seems alot of the stuff tested on it will be found on the mk2. I heard from a source that the armor corps was batting for the leopard 2 a5 if a new tank was to be bought. But once again no funds.

Just a question though how many will actually run do you guys think after that article in the news on the state of the armed forces. To my knowledge their are actually on 22 or so olifants in use in the moment at the armor school the rest having been mothballed.
Graugrun
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 125 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2005 - 08:03 AM UTC
Firstly I may stand corrected in that the order may just be to upgrade the rest of the Mark A's upto the Mark 1B standard. If so, then Engineering news has the story all wrong. I hope that that is not the case.

Also regards the Leopard A5/6 I was told that the Germans were forbidden to offer it to us (sounds strange after buying their Sub and Ships - however, that came from a very good source).

Regards the tanks in storage (mark 1B's), I've seen them, it is a very impressive site, there are many, many of them. Got a few photos too.

Regards the original story that I posted, can anyone confirm that it is definatly to upgrade to the Mark 2 for me?

Cheers,
Graugrun
 _GOTOTOP