_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Cutting Brass Help
Hellcat
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 12:04 AM UTC
Hey guys, does any one know or what do you use to cut brass sheet? i got a thin sheet of brass that i want to use for scratch building and dont know what to use for cutting it. Can some one recommend what type of cutters or tool I should use? Can I just use a sharp exacto? If I m cutting small pieces I dont want the brass to crimp as it gets cut.
Thanks
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
entire network: 255 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 11:09 AM UTC
If the sheet is thin enough, you can use an X-acto blade. To avoid the "crimping", cut it on a hard surface, perhaps a piece of glass. If it is to thick to cut with a blade, use heavy duty cutters/scissors. It will "crimp" (bend at the edges), but you can make it flat again by rolling the handle of an X-acto knife over it while it lays flat on a hard, smooth surface.
Worked great for me!
HTH
trackpins
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 99 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 11:18 AM UTC
Doing the same myself.

Heat the brass until cherry red and allow to cool naturally. This will soften the metal sufficient to cut with a blade or even good scissors. If when working the metal it starts getting hard again re-heat and repeat the process.

If you get crimps that sometimes are unavoidable you will be able to flattern the metal easy being soft. Flatten on a smooth metal using a soft headed hammer/mallet. Don't use a normal hammer, it will dent the brass. All sounds a lot harder than it is.

Best wishes.

Trackpins (Peter)
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 04:01 PM UTC
I use small scissors from a suture removal kit. They are very small and cut very well. They are also very useful in cutting photo etch. Sometimes these type scissors and other useful medical tools can be found on ebay for next to nothing.

Patrick
 _GOTOTOP