_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Airtank
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 110 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 04:19 PM UTC
Hi all

I'm almost done finalizing my airbrush setup and have decided to go the route of an airtank rather than a compressor.

I found a 10 gallon, 65 psi tank at a automotive shop, and was hoping to see if this woul be okay to airbrush with. How long will the tank last before I refill ? Will the tank provide enough air pressure ?

Thank you
Leader
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 03:44 AM UTC
bump
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 06:29 AM UTC
Howdy Leader,

Since I have the been the main proponent of the air tank vs. compressor debate, I will attempt to answer your query.
The ten (10) gallon size sounds great (I have only a five (5) gallon version I picked up at Home Depot). So, your storage will obviously be better, which directly translates to 'spray time'. As to your "setup". I have installed a bicycle tyre type air inlet so that I can fill it from any gas station or the like (in case I'm away from home). The unit I purchased came with two (2) air gauges. One that shows tank pressure from 0lbs to 160lbs broken up into 20lb increments. The second shows line (airbrush) pressure in the same pattern. I have removed the stock 'line' pressure gauge with a more precise gauge that spells out the air from 0lbs to 60lbs broken up into one (1) lb increments. In this way I can precisely mete out the air as I wish (important IMHO, too many people use the same air pressure for their main colour coat as the do for their 'dusting' coats...../-) )
To the " 65psi tank". Not quite sure what you mean by that. Most air tanks can hold at least twice that much pressure. Are you sure your just not reading what the gauge says? Does your tank have two (2) gauges?
Finally, a ten gallon air tank will last you quite awhile. By awhile, I mean at least a couple of good nights of intense brushing, or an entire week of nights of spot painting depending upon how much air pressure you use.

Hope that helps.

Tread.

P.S. Another good idea is to install an air trap (if you got this air tank from an automotive business, they surely know what I'm talking about) on the tank. Place it before your line gauge, that way your output 'air' is being measured that much more precisely.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 06:36 AM UTC
Good Mornin' Tread - good to read your word on the Forum!

Okay - back to modeling again - returning control of the Thread back to you users...

Gunnie
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 06:42 AM UTC
Thanks for the great reply Tread.

I should have made myself a ittle more clearer...I havent purchased the tank yet I just found it at a local store. Since you said a 10 gallon tank is adequate, I most likey will purchase it. I then plan to use the tank and hook up the Paasche (sp?) regulator with moiusture trap to it, and from there hook up my Paasche VL.

Any comments on the planned setup, Once again Thanks
Leader
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

............"- returning control of the Thread back to you users......."

Gunnie

:-) Thanks for your kind words Gunnie. Your line above reminds me of the old show 'the Outer Limits'. But then your too young to remember that..........right?

Tread. #:-) #:-) #:-)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 07:19 AM UTC
Heh heh - ain't that young - I'm a fan of all the incarnations of "The Outer Limits" over the years!

I'll be 38 on the 13th - couple of weeks away...

Gunnie
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 07:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the great reply Tread.

Any comments on the planned setup, Once again Thanks
Leader

Well, since you haven't purchased it yet, the first question is cost. How much are they asking? The five (5) gallon unit that I (and I believe KFMagee) use was approx. $29.95 complete with gauges at Home Depot. So, depending upon what they are asking for the ten (10) gallon tank, I would consider that.
FYI, the five (5) gallon unit is sufficient for most of your painting needs, that is, unless you're a very busy painter!

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 07:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie

I'll just jot that down.....hehe.

Oh, BTW, did you answer my last inquery on the 'GunTruck...question for you ' thread?

Tread.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 07:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gunnie

Oh, BTW, did you answer my last inquery on the 'GunTruck...question for you ' thread?

Tread.

Not sure if I did - I can't find the Thread - which one was it???

Gunnie
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 07:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gunnie

Tread.

Not sure if I did - I can't find the Thread - which one was it???

Gunnie

Thread was called 'GunTruck, question for you'. Use 'search forums' and type in 'guntrucks' not 'guntruck'.....don't know why

Tread.
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 07:23 AM UTC
I have been contemplating my future airbrush set up and am considering a 5 gallon air tank and a separate compressor. Any idea what rating (i.e. how beefy) the compressor would have to be to refill the 5 gallon tank? I would guess the lower the pressure max the slower and longer the refill would take.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 06:23 AM UTC
I have basically the setup you are talking about. I use a 5 gallon air pig I got from Wal-Mart that is billed as a portable air supply to refil tires. I think it cost me $25 ( I put this all toghether about 12 years ago). I have a Sears Craftsman 1.5 HP compressor that is rated up 1o 120 psi (bought it 15 years ago for $100 and still going strong). I have a pressure gauge on the air tank outlet. The tank and compressor are connected using standard air tool quick connects. I had to change a few of the fittings on the tank since it was set up with tire valve hose and inlet. Not too difficult, I found all the fittings I needed at the local hardware store. I usually fill the tank to about 30-40 psi for noprmal base coat (single color)painting and between 20-30 psi for detail and camo job painting. When the air runs lower than that, I simply switch the compressor back on to fill the tank back up. I run a Pasche H model air brush off of it. It works great and I am very happy with the results. Hope this helps out in your set-up.
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 07:04 AM UTC
Thank you, HeavyArty. Do you think a regulator on the 5-gallon tank would be beneficial?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 07:54 AM UTC
I haven't found a need for one. I just keep an eye on the gauge and I can tell when I'm getting low on air from the way the airbrush sprays. If you feel comfortable with one, go right ahead. It can't hurt.
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 04:57 AM UTC
if your using a standard tank your filling at the gas station, and your do alot of airburshing, you may not need the moisture trap, only if that thing sites more that 3-4 weeks without use.

A 10 gallon tank will fill up 3 car tires from fully flat to 35 psi
 _GOTOTOP