_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kaki Model Malaysia
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Malaysian Main Battle Tank
Argrillion
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 447 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 12:23 PM UTC
If you members did follow the National Parade yesterday, you would have seen the debut of the Malaysian main battle tank PT-91 Twardy. Based on the T-72 MBT, the Polish has modernized the tank. More details are available here.

Anyone thinking of conversions for the Tamiya T-72?
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
entire network: 986 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 12:42 PM UTC
oooh.... the tanks sure look dangerous. anyone knows how many we bought?

however, don't know if a full MBT might be suitable in a 'jungle' country like ours..... like, when the japs came here in 1941 they only use fast, light tanks.

anyway, i sure like the new camo scheme on ATM vehicles... nice.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 01:59 PM UTC
geetings..

i was also shocked la to see this mbt took part in the parade...
it was a 'sample' stock from Poland when they come here for ATM evaluation..
as most of us already know, they're 3 contestant for the new Malaysian MBT...and PT-91 won it..

arghhh..enough said

here is our very own PT-91 M

anyway, i was a bit upset when the cute ferret doesnt show up in the parade... and our scorpions are a side show only this time

hehe...enjoy the photos folks.........!!!

masterqq
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
entire network: 101 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 03:30 PM UTC
Wooww... Boss.. more photo please...
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 03:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wooww... Boss.. more photo please...

haha..the photos are not mine la dude...i stole it from some military forum...

but here are some more photos that i manage to smuggle here

Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 06:14 PM UTC
scorpion plak

Adnan and the gangs
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 06:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

as most of us already know, they're 3 contestant for the new Malaysian MBT...and PT-91 won it..

.... well, i didn't know that.... :-)

so, initally, what MBT options did we look into before deciding to buy the PT91?
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 06:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

.... well, i didn't know that.... :-)

so, initally, what MBT options did we look into before deciding to buy the PT91?

haiya...i forgot la which...nanti balik i check my resources..hehe...it's long time ago la...

tomorrow i give the answer ok.. the other two lost it because they were stcuk in our muddy terrain...hahaha (of course there's many other reason la..)

anyway here's a photo of our PARA's Stormer APC

see the marking on the fenders all carry 10 Briged PARA parking...
except for the PT-91 which bear the Kor Armor DiRaja marking but cant tell from which unit
Target_J
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 08:59 PM UTC
Thanks for the pics. I would really love to do the Scorpion in 1/35. The camo would be a killer though. But this camo will really stand out.

Last month's Tempur magazine had quite a few pics of Malaysian AFVs too.
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 10:04 PM UTC
Nice photos. As to whether a tank will be useful for our jungles its pretty debatable. First it will depend on our tank doctrine and strategy. Second would probably be its ground pressure then only its arnament and other goodies.

As far as going into the jungle the Scorpion would arguably be the best compromise. I think it has the lowest ground pressure of any tracked vehicle (5 lbs/sq. in, I think?). I can't see our PT-91 bashing thru the jungle or even some oil palm plantations. Even if it was used as a static ambush purpose its long barrel would require clearing quite a lot of trees, kind of making it visible and defeat the concept of ambush.

I can see us having a sub but a MBT.... Just my RM0.02 worth though. Thanks for the pics Argrillion and Boss.
Argrillion
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 447 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 10:08 PM UTC
Hmm! It makes me wonder whether there are any damage on the Putrajaya tiles when this tank rolled over it yesterday. Boss, see any?
lkoky
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 62 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 04:41 AM UTC
Guys,

What do you think of our AFV camo?

I am no expert in this thing, but from my ancient time in the scout camping in Malaysian jungle; the camo looks a bit pale.

Those camo gonna stands out in the jungle.

or am I missing anything?
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 02:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice photos. As to whether a tank will be useful for our jungles its pretty debatable. First it will depend on our tank doctrine and strategy. Second would probably be its ground pressure then only its arnament and other goodies.

As far as going into the jungle the Scorpion would arguably be the best compromise. I think it has the lowest ground pressure of any tracked vehicle (5 lbs/sq. in, I think?). I can't see our PT-91 bashing thru the jungle or even some oil palm plantations. Even if it was used as a static ambush purpose its long barrel would require clearing quite a lot of trees, kind of making it visible and defeat the concept of ambush.

I can see us having a sub but a MBT.... Just my RM0.02 worth though. Thanks for the pics Argrillion and Boss.

CK, that maybe true if u didnt see the tank in real action. Actually there're more then 3 AFV in the evaluation process but only 3 make it to the final 3.. They were Lerlec, Challenger, K1, T80 & T9. They were tested neck-to-neck on M'sian soil in Asahan & went thru gemas jungle & came out in Endau Rompin then for 14 gruelling days..if not mistaken in 2002/2003. The main gain clearing is almost true but war doesnt have to be fought the in jungle only la...so on the final run, PT-91 did well on all aspect... i will get in the details as soon as i got good infos...

Quoted Text

Hmm! It makes me wonder whether there are any damage on the Putrajaya tiles when this tank rolled over it yesterday. Boss, see any?

tak perasan plak... but the tiles looks okay...but i tak gi observed closely...

Quoted Text

Guys,

What do you think of our AFV camo?

I am no expert in this thing, but from my ancient time in the scout camping in Malaysian jungle; the camo looks a bit pale.

Those camo gonna stands out in the jungle.

or am I missing anything?

that's the new ATM cammo...if nit mistaken adapted from NATO scheme.... i have photos of the exercise forget the name .. but that was major KAD exercise last year in our jungle/palm estate... and the cammo was doing its job well from certain point..
anyway, that's is not the thing to worry in modern warfare...even with good cammo scheme, there lots of equipment that can 'see' them...

my 2 cents jugak

moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 02:33 PM UTC
... to bring this slightly off topic: perhaps ATM should get more attack choppers instead of buying MBTs.

we see from the desert storm that iraq's top-of the line T-80s were wiped out by apaches BEFORE the ground war even started.... in the modern war between armor and anti-armor, the missiles will always win.

we can have modern MBTs but we must also acquire more airborne anti-armor assets.

Target_J
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 02:38 PM UTC
Imagine this camo on a Leclerc or Challenger. That would be really wicked.

Personally, i'm not a fan of the PT-91.

I am sure one of the reason it won the contract was due it its price.
seelianglim
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 80 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 06:23 PM UTC
Hi,

Hmm..usually these modern tanks has rubber pads on the tracks. It helps to preserve the roads and reduce noise .

sllim

[ info gathered from instruction paper of Tamiya's Chieftain mbt ]
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 08:41 PM UTC
Boss I'm sure your'e right about the tank's performance in the jungle. However, for a laymen civvie like myself having a tanks in the jungle is like a bit like having tanks in the tight confines of an urban environment. Limited visibility even if you can manouvre around a bit.

A lot of it has to do with how our military strategists see us defending our country. Any land invader will come either through the coast or through Thailand. If we adopt a guerilla doctrine then anti-tank weapons will be the way to go. Plus with our long coastline a navy with good defensive capability would be my bet to spend OUR TAXPAYERS money.

Tanks for me are icing on the cake for a 3rd. world country unless your'e in a desert like environment that offer maximum use of tanks. Don't get me wrong I love thanks as much as the next guy even my tank modelling days are about over. But Malaysia should see what we do best and build it up. Malaysia already has some of the best trained jungle troops around. After all our jungle school in Johor once trained the SAS and the first commander of Delta force.

Hope I don't start too big a debate. Just adding more to my earlier RM 0.02.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 09:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Boss I'm sure your'e right about the tank's performance in the jungle. However, for a laymen civvie like myself having a tanks in the jungle is like a bit like having tanks in the tight confines of an urban environment. Limited visibility even if you can manouvre around a bit.

A lot of it has to do with how our military strategists see us defending our country. Any land invader will come either through the coast or through Thailand. If we adopt a guerilla doctrine then anti-tank weapons will be the way to go. Plus with our long coastline a navy with good defensive capability would be my bet to spend OUR TAXPAYERS money.

Tanks for me are icing on the cake for a 3rd. world country unless your'e in a desert like environment that offer maximum use of tanks. Don't get me wrong I love thanks as much as the next guy even my tank modelling days are about over. But Malaysia should see what we do best and build it up. Malaysia already has some of the best trained jungle troops around. After all our jungle school in Johor once trained the SAS and the first commander of Delta force.

Hope I don't start too big a debate. Just adding more to my earlier RM 0.02.

Tang,
your point is noted. I also dont know how our miltary strategist think..
that also got to do wiih our tight defend budget la.. some politician went nuts when MINDEF increases the budget... so somehow the decision depend on these bunch of politicians to...

but to be fair with the army, we have modernised lots of things...and also purchased a lot more better asset ..

we have SU-30 MKM as a role of air superiority and partially will function like our limited F-18...

the 2 Scorpene class SSK will be around too in 2007 but they're located in Sepanggar Bay, Sabah.

the PT-91 will act as MBT..the Scorpions will act as their original design role - as a reccon tank..
lot of APC, AIFV such as Adnan variants to back up things

but our elite infantry are of course unmatch in this region. In modern warefare, to win a battle, infantry shall take all the important and strategic locations. Not by areal bombing, cruise missiles (exception for the nukes)... cant replaced the function of infantrymen.... that's we have to be proud of..

The NGPV (new gen patrol vesssel) project will also refelct our navy's performance....

so many things have been done over the years ...

argg..what i'm talking ni...so many craps....

haha..

back to the MBT, i think ATM bought it just to show to our beloved neigbour down there kot..just my assumption la..

anyway, it's nice to debate on stuff other than modelling subjects... it will cracked our brains...

till then fellas
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 09:11 PM UTC
i agree that ATM has upgraded its capabilities such as the SU-30, PT91, Scorpene subs etc... but one thing is missing... where are the attack choppers?

they are better on ground interdiction and anti-armor than anything else... what happened to the rooivalk? tak jadi beli ke? and some transport/utility helis to replace the nuri too... mmm

anyway, MBTs are more suitable to open countrysides, not in jungles or urban areas, where their mobility and firepower are restricted. ...perhaps the PT91 are useful more Merdeka and ATM Day Parades only...
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 09:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i agree that ATM has upgraded its capabilities such as the SU-30, PT91, Scorpene subs etc... but one thing is missing... where are the attack choppers?

they are better on ground interdiction and anti-armor than anything else... what happened to the rooivalk? tak jadi beli ke? and some transport/utility helis to replace the nuri too... mmm

anyway, MBTs are more suitable to open countrysides, not in jungles or urban areas, where their mobility and firepower are restricted. ...perhaps the PT91 are useful more Merdeka and ATM Day Parades only...

yo Jimbo..
attack helicopter are on hold la...duit takde nak beli... we start to think about this when our good neigbour down there started to equiped themselves with AH-64 Apache..

but there're talks about getting rid of the NURI...but talk remain talks...but so far ade macam2 model ..including the one yg BOMBA beli (Mi-17)

but do we really need attack chopper ke??

we have agreed this year to purchase LOH (Light Oberservation Helicopter)..an Agusta A109..

and yes, all our asset are good in the parade..just wish that somebody idiot dont start a way here.... even some of me wishing to see all of our asset in action, but some of me prays that this will not happen!!

haha...my rusty 2 sen
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2005 - 01:20 PM UTC
Boss your right that it is nice to go off topic for a while. Before I forget thanks for the support on my thread over at the figure forum.

As an armchair general (too much C & C lah in my slightly younger days), I do find this subject matter fascinating. Sorry boss kena sambung cerita lagilah. I tend to agree with Mojimbo on the attack copters. No doubt choppers are far more expensive than most ground assets it would fit in perfectly with a guerilla hit and run strategy.

Just imagine, attack choppers hidden away in small jungle airbases with low IR signature camouflage. Throw in a couple of Harriers and you can give any attacking MBT backed force a really hard time. Much better bang for your buck or ringgit in this case.

The fact of the matter is we have a military agreement with our ASEAN neighbours and in an unfortunate time of conflict we will come to each other aid (at least in theory). With that in mind nobody would like to fight in their own backyard least of all Singapore. I believe their military doctrine is "if we have to fight at home, wer'e in deep sh*t". That's why they've invested a lot in air assets and to some extent sea assets as opposed to ground assets. I may be wrong as usual.

The ground attack capability of our air assets are relatively poor. Even moving troops around airborne is difficult with our old Nuris. Choppers and subs would be the way to go. One of the greatest concern, more psychological than military based, for the British was the Argentinian subs during the Falkland crisis. even though the subs were early post WW II designs.

Subs have a tremendous pyschological affect on any attacking navy coz they're stealth though not entirely undetectable. I believe the noise signatures on our SSK are even lower than nuclear subs. Like I said it fits in with a guerilla hit and run strategy.

Definitely more than my RM0.02. Sorry guys panjang cerita pasal nak elak work since I have to come on Saturday anyway :-)
Valkyrie
Visit this Community
Alur Setar, Malaysia
entire network: 143 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 01:43 PM UTC
Hello guys...

First: RTM sucks!! Only a 5-second exposure for the MBT!

Second: I think there IS a resin conversion set for PT-91 using Tamiya's T-72M as basis.

Third: I think MBTs are relevant to our defence. We are no longer wholly jungle-clad. Even though MBTs are not really suitable for urban warfare, it is matter of imagination and tactical deployment by the commander. Hey, there is not many really large open fields in Western Europe also right?
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 01:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Boss your right that it is nice to go off topic for a while. Before I forget thanks for the support on my thread over at the figure forum.

As an armchair general (too much C & C lah in my slightly younger days), I do find this subject matter fascinating. Sorry boss kena sambung cerita lagilah. I tend to agree with Mojimbo on the attack copters. No doubt choppers are far more expensive than most ground assets it would fit in perfectly with a guerilla hit and run strategy.

Just imagine, attack choppers hidden away in small jungle airbases with low IR signature camouflage. Throw in a couple of Harriers and you can give any attacking MBT backed force a really hard time. Much better bang for your buck or ringgit in this case.

The fact of the matter is we have a military agreement with our ASEAN neighbours and in an unfortunate time of conflict we will come to each other aid (at least in theory). With that in mind nobody would like to fight in their own backyard least of all Singapore. I believe their military doctrine is "if we have to fight at home, wer'e in deep sh*t". That's why they've invested a lot in air assets and to some extent sea assets as opposed to ground assets. I may be wrong as usual.

The ground attack capability of our air assets are relatively poor. Even moving troops around airborne is difficult with our old Nuris. Choppers and subs would be the way to go. One of the greatest concern, more psychological than military based, for the British was the Argentinian subs during the Falkland crisis. even though the subs were early post WW II designs.

Subs have a tremendous pyschological affect on any attacking navy coz they're stealth though not entirely undetectable. I believe the noise signatures on our SSK are even lower than nuclear subs. Like I said it fits in with a guerilla hit and run strategy.

Definitely more than my RM0.02. Sorry guys panjang cerita pasal nak elak work since I have to come on Saturday anyway :-)

CK, this really sound like the intro movie on the Apache Longbow SIM PC game...

masterqq
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
entire network: 101 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 01:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Totally agree, they like focusing on the VIPs and crowds rather than the Tank ...
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 01:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello guys...

Second: I think there IS a resin conversion set for PT-91 using Tamiya's T-72M as basis.

Third: I think MBTs are relevant to our defence. We are no longer wholly jungle-clad. Even though MBTs are not really suitable for urban warfare, it is matter of imagination and tactical deployment by the commander. Hey, there is not many really large open fields in Western Europe also right?

yo Hairil long time no tak nampak sini?? bz with your sex education stuff?? haha
 _GOTOTOP