TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
M8 in Nam
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 330 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 11:15 PM UTC
Did any of you, happen to catch on the History channel Sunday night the series on Vietnam. I didn't catch all of it, only two hours, but what I did watch was very good. Lots of combat vehicles, most of them I don't know, I could name the aircraft. But during one part I did happen to see a M8 motoring down a road, and firing on targets. I didn't realize that the M8 was still in use during Vietnam war.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 11:21 PM UTC
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a French or South Vietnamese vehicle. I would be surprised if it was an American vehicle.

Gunnie
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 330 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 11:43 PM UTC
I believe it was South Vietnamese vehicle, because it was about 1972 action. I was really surprised to see it, would be good subject for a diorama.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
puyallup7400
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 93 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2002 - 04:31 PM UTC
Armor in Vietnam by Jim Mesko has Vietnamese M-8's on page13. Mesko said they were left behind by the French. Both the M-8 armored car and M-8 HMC were used by the French and later ARVN. There were mostly WWII vehicles. The French had M-3 & M-5 light tanks, M-4 Shermans, M-3 halftracks, M-3 scout cars, M-8 & M-20 armored cars, M-7 Priest, M-29C Weasel and LVT 4's. There is even a Wickum on page 15, where ever that thread is

Dave.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2002 - 08:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Armor in Vietnam by Jim Mesko has Vietnamese M-8's on page13. Mesko said they were left behind by the French. Both the M-8 armored car and M-8 HMC were used by the French and later ARVN. There were mostly WWII vehicles. The French had M-3 & M-5 light tanks, M-4 Shermans, M-3 halftracks, M-3 scout cars, M-8 & M-20 armored cars, M-7 Priest, M-29C Weasel and LVT 4's. There is even a Wickum on page 15, where ever that thread is

Dave.

Dito Dave, I got this book too!
And you also could count MB jeeps (it was made in France till the end of 70's!) and M38 jeeps. So it's a lot of subjects.
But don't forget: all MUTT jeeps used in Vietnam was the M151A1 (flat fenders and 2 pieces windshield) so you can use the available Tamiya or Academy MUTT models, straight from the box.
HTH