_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kaki Model Malaysia
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Humbrol Clear Gloss Question
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 01:40 PM UTC
Hi Gentlemen & 1 Lady,

Need some help on Humbrol Clear Gloss (acrylic). Has anybody tried it coz I'm wondering whether it can be applied over the base paint or does it have to be mixed in with the base paint like Tamiya's Matt coat and then painted together.

Any help is greatly apppreciated.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 01:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gentlemen & 1 Lady,

Need some help on Humbrol Clear Gloss (acrylic). Has anybody tried it coz I'm wondering whether it can be applied over the base paint or does it have to be mixed in with the base paint like Tamiya's Matt coat and then painted together.

Any help is greatly apppreciated.

hello there CK,

frankly i never used the humbroll acrylic type gloss coat...
but i think they should be threat just like any other regular acrylic gloss coat such as gunze. I used gunze all the time. just apply the gloss coat over the cured surface...
and i used humbroll lacquer type as well and never have any problem ..
just a word of cautious, the tamiya flat base is NOT a matt coat. It's something that u have to mix with their range of gloss color to make the color dead flat. This is similiar to gunze flat base.
so to answer your question, yes, it can be applied OVER the base paint. You can mix it also with your base paint at your choice. but iu never try this with humbroll acrylic.

hope this help bro!!
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 12:29 PM UTC
Thanks boss for the detailed reply. I normally use Gunze's gloss which I find easy to use. Unfortunately I couldn't find any for some time together with black and white acrylics. Anybody seen any black and white acrylics around? Nothing at MH (as usual), Toycity or Hobby HQ (when I last checked months ago).

I've used the Tamiya Matt coat and as you say you have to mix it with the paint. Tricky to use as too much will result in a flat but whitish base coat.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 12:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks boss for the detailed reply. I normally use Gunze's gloss which I find easy to use. Unfortunately I couldn't find any for some time together with black and white acrylics. Anybody seen any black and white acrylics around? Nothing at MH (as usual), Toycity or Hobby HQ (when I last checked months ago).

I've used the Tamiya Matt coat and as you say you have to mix it with the paint. Tricky to use as too much will result in a flat but whitish base coat.

CK,
yeas i noticed they're all gone for quite sometime now..
it has been month since my last visit at MH...dont know if they restock ...hmmm...
if u badly needed the color, just order them at rainbow10 japan...they got good shiping price...bust order must be more then 3000yen or a fee of 300yen will be imposed.... several times i ordered paint and other finishing materials from them...

that's our only life savers now...in fact they do give us new stock unlike or LHS which stored some of the colors for years...

and about the tamiya flat based, they will turn your models dead flat and whitish is we didnt mix it well, or too much is used...that's mu experience...but sometimes the white mark will disappear when oil wash is applied.

my rm0.02 sen..heh
Argrillion
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 447 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 01:39 PM UTC
CK,

There are some Tamiya black and white floating around in the market. Instead of those normal bottles, it is now sold in small bottles much like those Gunze bottles. If you are not too particular with flat black, there are some flat NATO Black available. PM me if you need any.

For Gunze black and white acrylics, they are available in HHQ.
 _GOTOTOP