TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
The Great Raid..Anyone seen this one..
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 1,430 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 07:13 PM UTC
I watched this movie The Great Raid tonite..and it was an excellent movie. Very moving, i have to say i shed a few tears. If anyone hasn't seen it yet..Check it out..its worth the watch..

Set in the Philippines in 1945, "The Great Raid" tells the true story of the 6th Ranger Battalion, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Henry Mucci (Benjamin Bratt) who undertake a daring rescue mission against all odds. Traveling thirty miles behind enemy lines, the 6th Ranger Battalion aims to liberate over 500 American prisoners-of-war from the notorious Cabanatuan Japanese POW camp in the most audacious rescue ever.

Mary (++)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 08:48 PM UTC
I haven't watched it And it's now off the cinema. It was shown here two weeks ago.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 10:52 PM UTC
I haven't seen the movie but I read the book about the camp and the raid to liberate the prisoners which I think was called Ghost Soldiers. It's a terrific story.
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 02:07 AM UTC
I agree, very good flick. While they managed to insert a love story into it, they did so tastefully unlike certain other historical movies out there.......
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 02:23 AM UTC
Howdy Mary, and Good Mornin'

I was waiting to see this film since I heard that they had made it. Having read the book {and it is called 'Ghost Soldiers' exer}, I was excited at the idea of a movie about this small piece of history. Even though they took some dramatic license {the 'love story' for example} they told the basic story pretty well.

I always find it interesting what Hollywood feels is important to a story......because quite often they leave out significant things while leaving in insignificant things........
For example, they should have spent a little more time portraying the difficulty of the journey to the camp by the Rangers instead of making it look like a jaunt through the woods. They also could have displayed the pivotal issue the Phillipino guerillas played in holding back the Japanese garrison. And the crawl across the massive expanse of open ground in front of the camp was a Marathon event for the Rangers, but was played down......of course, I was hoping that Hollywood had found an intact P-61 Blackwidow for the camp fly-over instead of the DC-3 (?).....but understood their inability to find one

Apologies for the nits......loved the movie anyway.

Tread.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 07:49 AM UTC
Tread:

I read an article in either Military History Magazine or World War II magazine about a major rescue raid in the Phillipines. Involved LCVP's and airborne I think. The article pointed out it was a real joint services affair. Was this the same event? And you're right Hollywood always has to have some Love Interest JUnk in these movies. For some reason they think that this is what motivates the soldiers to do these sorts of deeds. I'm assuming here that the love interest woman was in the camp not having seen the movie.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 08:19 AM UTC
[quote And you're right Hollywood always has to have some Love Interest JUnk in these movies. For some reason they think that this is what motivates the soldiers to do these sorts of deeds. [/quote]

They include this to placate the girlfriends of the 18-24 year olds who are teh prime audience for movies.

Localy, it had a one (maybe two) week run and disappeared. Oh, well, that's what DVD was invented for. Plus you get more info, a more considerate audince with whom to share the movie AND you don't have to wait for a surely dull part to puase for the pause! :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 02:56 PM UTC
Howdy Steve,

No, the Cabanatuan raid didn't include the use of anything mechanized. The rescue you refer to rings a bell.......but unfortunately my synapse's cannot drag it out of my memory banks......
And AJ's right, the reason Hollywood almost always includes a 'love' interest is to put another butt :-)8 in the seat next to the guy who really came to see the movie....... they sell more popcorn that way...

Tread.

Oh, and BTW....when you guys rent/buy the DVD........please wait till the very end of the movie and past the initial credits....because they have some superb photographs that were actually taken during the real rescue and welcome home....those shots alone are worth renting the movie fellas..
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 292 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 03:41 PM UTC
A lot of fellow Filipinos liked the movie. I guess I ought to see it, if only to pay tribute to the heroism of our grandfathers. Maybe I'd see it once the DVD's out.

Ironically as I post this I'm looking out my office window towards Manila Bay and I can see the island of Corregidor from here, where the ordeal of most of the soldiers imprisoned in Cabanatuan started.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 11:00 AM UTC
One day I hope to visit your country...just to walk that sacred / hallowed ground
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 06:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One day I hope to visit your country...just to walk that sacred / hallowed ground

Give us a holler when you get the chance to fly this way Steve. Bossman aka El Jefe, a fellow IPMS Philippines - Bert Anido Chapter member, is the club's resident expert on WW2 sites.

GIBeregovoy also camped out at Corregidor for a few nights. There's a hotel there for guests but nothing beats fresh air
BSPRU
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 152 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 02:40 PM UTC
The movie was based on two books "The Great Raid" by William Breuer. And "Ghost Soldiers" By (I Believe) Hampton Sides. The movie did a great job trying to bring a complicated story about why the prisoners needed to be rescued in the Cabatuan raid. The story also tried to explain why the prisoners ended up there.
The other Raid with the Airborne troops and Amphibiuos (sp?) vehicles is the Los Banos Raid.
brian
P.S. Margeret Utinsky (miss u) husband died in Cabatuan and she was part of the Philipino underground smuggling drugs and food into Cabatuan. Another women Claire Philips (high pockets) was arrested by the Japanese secret police but was later rescue by U.S. forces. Both received the Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award for their aid in the raid. Claire Philips story was made onto a movie called"I Was an American Spy"starring Ann Dvorak.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 03:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A lot of fellow Filipinos liked the movie. I guess I ought to see it, if only to pay tribute to the heroism of our grandfathers. Maybe I'd see it once the DVD's out.

Ironically as I post this I'm looking out my office window towards Manila Bay and I can see the island of Corregidor from here, where the ordeal of most of the soldiers imprisoned in Cabanatuan started.

I had the honor of operating with the Filipino Special Forces out of Fort Magsaysay last year, not far from Cabanatuan. Lots of those Japanese buildings apparently being used even today. Can't wait to see the movie. Hopefully time will permit it soon enough.
muttley
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 251 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 08:23 AM UTC
I believe the the "love story" parts of the movie was another way to also show how brutal the Japanese Imperial Army were to the Filipinos during that war. It was set in Manila which was declared "open city" during the occupation, and showed scenes of "collaborators" (localy called Makapili) as well as the infamous Fort Santiago or the "prison of no return" My dear old Mom who was 8 years old back then would tell stories of how the Japanese would just shoot or bayonet any local out in the streets for being suspected of helping the guerillas to name a few, she has also seen an actual baby throwing into the air and getting catched by a Jap bayonet activity just for "the fun of it". Even my American wife was so shocked to see the brutality while the US soldiers were being massacred though she has heared of such things before.I called up my mother that night after I saw the movie and she told me "now you know how it was when I was a kid!"