_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Lighting HELP!
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 09:37 AM UTC
I am trying to shoot some pics of my finished Panther to post on the site. I am using a digital camera borrowed from a friend. The problem is that the flourecent light bulb in my painting room makes the model look too light and washed out and the incandescent bulbs in the rest of my house make it look too red. I have heard that it is good to shoot in natural light but it has been overcast and dark lately. What should I do?
Thanks for the help,
Andrew
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 09:43 AM UTC
Color correction in Photoshop can do wonders.

Jim
yellobelli
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 45 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 09:54 AM UTC
If you're painting room is using standard tubular flourescent bulbs you could always use a natural light flourescent tube. These come in various degrees of natural light and are used in fish aquariums for natural photosynthesis in live plants.

Look at your local pet store. Caution: these might be a tad expensive, but they can also help you paint late at night.

Another idea would be to use a piece of white foamcore (or a similar shiny reflective surface) and "redirect" the overhead light onto the model while taking pictures. It requires another set of hands, but can reduce glare while providing more natural shadows.

Just some ideas.
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 09:57 AM UTC
Thanks for the help,
Andrew

Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 12:35 PM UTC
What I do in these situations is wait till it gets brighter outside. Right now it's stinkin' cold though

If you are on a schedule and need to take the pics, I would put the model under a couple lamps and do the rest with the computer.

Nic
 _GOTOTOP