_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Brass rod??
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
entire network: 6,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 276 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 06:54 AM UTC
Hi everyone.
I would like to order some brass rod to use for hand rails in 1/35 scale but I need to know the correct thickness to order. I have to rely on internet shops so I can't see the real size of what I'm getting. The only place I know is Micromark and I know they ship to Egypt. Can you suggest other places to get scratching supplies?

Thanks
Hisham
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 07:15 AM UTC
Instead of ordering brass rod, try stripping some old electric cords. They go by gauge(wire size), the smaller the number the thicker the wire. You can find stranded or solid under the insulation.
Just strip it off, and roll it straight on a piece of glass, under a steel ruler. You'll find it in all different thickness, and best of all, you can usually get it free if you know an electrician, who always have a bunch of scrap cuttings. He'd probably be happy to help you find the sizes you need to boot.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 07:45 AM UTC
You can also use copper wire, It's softer than brass but that's not all that critical for our applications. Do you have hardware stores nearby? They are good souces of scratcbuilding stuff like this.
The size/guage depends on the original. If you can't find it locally, think 1/16 is 2 inches, 1/32 equals about an inch; 1/64 half an inch. You can also find brass wire on a spool in arts and craft stores.
As Dave says, check out eletrical supplies for various sizes of wire.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
entire network: 6,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 276 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 07:46 AM UTC
You know, I thought about copper wire but then I thought it might be too soft to keep the main length of it straight while bending the sides. But I will try it. It would certainly save me a lot of money and headache trying to order through the mail.

Thanks
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 04:34 PM UTC
Sometimes flatstock can be used instead of rod.If this can be done in your application,try using staples.Any weight from office grade to commercial grade.Buy borrow,scrounge.Straighten, bend,and snip to suit.
cheers
 _GOTOTOP