TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Good Tank sim?
Darktrooper
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 08:34 AM UTC
What is a good, recent WWII tank simulator? I have Panzer Commander, but the graphics are outdated.
rommel21cw
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 84 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 09:50 AM UTC
As of now there has been a shortage of tanks sims on the market and even less WW2 ones. The most recent tank sim released was t-72 flashpoint Balkans and Steel Beast: Pro Personal edition is coming out soon. SB: Pro is the most realistic being a civilian version of the military training tool but it carries a $150 price tag and aged graphics.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 12:13 PM UTC
Howdy AJ,

Regarding your inquery into Tank "Sims"......give the PC game 'Battlefield 1942' a try....I feel it's a very enjoyable game experience while maintaining a superb 'SIM' attitude towards the games vehicles. And, if you want to try some more modern weaponery, give the latest version of this game platform a go...it's called 'Battlefield 2'. It's a tad expensive at around $50 sheckles...but IMHO, the tank operating physics are pretty neat. Besides that, you get to operate multiple vehicles from multiple nationalities..........

Tread.
Darktrooper
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 01:18 PM UTC
I'd like to stick to WWII vehicles, what I liked about Panzer commander was the ability to drive the chezch 35, panzer II, III, IV, V, VI, King Tiger, t-34, js-II, KV-1, Sherman, Pershing, crusader, and the matilda.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 02:05 PM UTC
Panzer Elite was the latest WWII tank sim that I know of. I forget when it was first put out. It has more features than Panzer Commander but I think not as easy to use. There are some mods to add vehicles to the game. There are some issues running under XP.

You can get the demo here: http://www.panzerelite.com/panzerelite.html

It might be easier to pick up Battlefield 1942 and then download the Forgotten Hope mod. Not quite as realistic but fun.

Paul

almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 05:54 AM UTC
theres a ps1 game called panzer front, that is pretty realistic to say its a ps game, lots of WW2 tanks and great gameplay, wasnt a massive game but if you can find a copy give it a whirl
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 09:07 PM UTC
Is there a tank game out there where you are sitting in the gunners seat popping off rounds at the bad guy. I got paid to play one when I did some work for one of our military contractor companies as well as for real in the Army.
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 513 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 01:52 AM UTC
My favorite was M1 tank Platoon by Microprose. Great game, good graphics.... although very dated now.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 04:58 AM UTC
Steve, you'd get a kick out of Steel Beasts for sure if you're looking for that. It's without a doubt the best armor sim ever made IMO, tankers will appreciate it even more than those who've never tamed the iron monsters. You can still pick the game up and for a few bucks too, I've seen it as part of a 3 game pack at Big Lots several times so check there.

The graphics are dated and the resolution is only 640x480 but the gameplay more than makes up for it with accuracy and realism. There's a solid community behind the game too so it has legs and will be around a while. I'm not so sure about SB Pro PE though, the price point is a wee bit prohibitive to many people and it's taking a long time to get it done. By the time it's out I don't know how long it'll be until they get the more 'commercial friendly' version out, which will be priced as a regular game versus the $150 price tag.

The only thing holding me back is the price and the micro managing of AI units that goes on in multiplayer. It's fun the couple of times I played but I was a bit turned off by the lack of realistic movement in MP, moving your guys in formations ends up getting you killed easier and that kinda took the tactical 'suspension of belief' out of it for me. Hope they improve it.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 08:36 AM UTC
Thanks Moe I'll do that. Any chance you'll be able to streak in at the arlington show? I think we'll have a few more guys this time like Pete and Rebel.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 04:11 PM UTC
What time is it on until? I have try outs in the morning (for all divisions) and then I'm running a draft for one division and then picking through the draft for my team in another. I'm probably going to be busy for most of the day unless drafts go quickly, they tend to drag on. I'm tempted to throw an egg timer on the table to move things along so I can get the hell outta there and down to Arlington. lol

I'd rather be searching through the bargains to be had at the show but I'm more than likely going to miss this one. Modeling time has already dropped considerably for me as hockey season gears up. The time of year when more people stay inside and do builds is when I'm outside doing a sport, then I go in hibernation mode and build in the warmer months. I'm like a reverse engineered bear or something.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2005 - 02:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is there a tank game out there where you are sitting in the gunners seat popping off rounds at the bad guy. I got paid to play one when I did some work for one of our military contractor companies as well as for real in the Army.

Steve,

You can have my copy of Steel Beasts and then Moezilla can coach you through it.

Paul
lordQ
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 530 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 06:14 AM UTC

There is a need for a new tank sim.
Every tank simulation i know of has horrible graphics, poor gameplay and even worse tank models.

Why isn't their such a simulation like , Silent Hunter III for us armor fanatics? It would be a hole in the market

Q