Trouble with decals?
making custom decals
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 4,630 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 03:55 PM UTC
Yeah, I am sure this has come up before...

However, my "tried and true" method is not working anylonger, so I need some help.

I used to use clear decal sheets, covered them with Testors Glosscoat (3 oz spray can), then print on them (after the shhet had dried), and then coated them again...no problem.

However, now it seems that when I print off of my HP 940C deskjet printer, things do not go so well. It looks like while the ink is drying, it is mixing or globbing. I have run it on the glossy paper function, which has helped, but not enough.

So, any advice? What is the directions on the Testors Custom Decals set?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 04:04 PM UTC
I would not glosscote them before printing. I am assuming that the glosscote is negating the effect of the decal film/paper and not allowing the ink to attach itself to the decal part of the paper. I have used Testor's and other brands. I print directly onto the decal paper. I let the ink dry for about 10 min., then spray it with Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic as a sealer. I have had no problems at all doing it this way. The acrylic is a better sealant because it will not eat the decals. The Testors Glosscote is a lacquer-based product. If you use too much of it, it can dissolve the decal film.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 02:28 AM UTC
Thanks GIno,

I have printed the decals up that way as well. Maybe I just need new decal film? (been years since I bought any...might have gone bad...sigh)

Just wnated to make sure I was not going loopy from the fumes...
fbuis
Visit this Community
Ain, France
entire network: 447 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 03:59 AM UTC
As Gino's advice, never spray a glossycoat on the decal paper before the printing process because there is a subtance which has the capacity to absorb a quantity of ink on the decal paper.

I usually set my inkjet printer in low speed printing process in order to let the ink get dry on the support (paper) then spray a coat of the Testors decal bonder on the sheet after drying for 1 or 2 hours.

Here is a sample of my home-made decal (on Testors decalsheet):

And the decal test on a model built by a friend:

HTH.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 05:40 AM UTC
Print first.... THEN add the glosscote finisher to seal in the ink. I work for HP and have the same 940 - works like a charm and is very sharp.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 06:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Print first.... THEN add the glosscote finisher to seal in the ink. I work for HP and have the same 940 - works like a charm and is very sharp.

Ditto for me too - print first, then GlossCote. I've run into the same trouble with my HP 3322 Deskjet.

Gunnie
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 07:06 AM UTC
Thanks guys...any help on using the HP940C, such as specific settings, would be GREATLY appreciated. (Hint hint.)

Anyhow, I have figured out some of my problems:

1. I am using clear decal sheets from about 7 years ago...not inkjet friendly. I last did decals with it about 4 years ago with a different print/computer and it worked fairly ok then. However, I think it is a bad choice now. So I was not even inthe right ballpark without the correct decal paper to start with...sheesh.

2. While using the glosscoat to help get the decal paper ready before, I think it only worked with the older printer I had. Before I sound too happy about my old printer, I just want to say that the decal I had gotten out of it before were only OK, not really great. I am hoping to get better results.

Now, that all said, is there any particular inkjet decal paper anyone wants to recomend? I have heard good things about Testors, the stuff from Bare Metal Foil, and abotu half a dozen others. What is it you guys use to get really good results, not only sharp edges but also color retention?

Maybe the result of all this will end up being a how-to article for Armorama!
fbuis
Visit this Community
Ain, France
entire network: 447 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 07:37 AM UTC
Jacques,

There is a feature about Making Custom Decals on Armorama:
Making Custom Decals

I only use the Testors inkjet decal paper but I will try the other manufacturer's decal paper.

There is 2 categories of water-slide decal paper: inkjet decalsheet for inkjet printers and laser decalsheet for laser printers - both in white and clear sheets and in different size. I got a bad result on the first try of laser decal paper on an inkjet printer.

For the printer, I use an inkjet Epson Photo 2000 with 7 ink cartridges, the color is quite good for the artwork in rose, gray and blue tone.

Francois
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 02:04 PM UTC
Jacques - I only use Micro-Mark's decal papers (white and clear). Never liked any other brand. I've used them with my Epson 740 and HP 3322 deskjets without any problems.

Gunnie
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 05:33 PM UTC
Well, thanks for all the advice and help.

Major problem was the old decal paper, NOT intended for modern use! I got ahold of proper inkjet paper and viola! No more problems at all.

So you all helped me get my Armorama 500 kit finished...look for it in the next few days.
 _GOTOTOP