_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Minimizing File Size for Gallery
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 06:29 AM UTC
I use a 2 MegaPixal Finepix. I shoot almost everything 1MP.

Whether I shoot against my plain white backdrop or a background, my images are about 450-500kbs each. I easily edit them to less than 120kbs.

Here's my trick. Look in my gallery at my first pix and you'll find many irregular sized images with black or white irregular borders. I take the images and open them into Window's PAINT--most everyone has this.

In PAINT, I select from lower left (left column, second from bottom) function RECTANGLE, and choose the bottom one. This will allow you to make a solid whereever you drag-draw the rectangle. I shoot my images with more border than I need for this purpose, and use rectangle to blackout the unwanted space.

This alone reduces the image's kilobyte size dramatically, often to less that 100kb! Save and upload.

Nowadays, for aesthetics, I also load the blocked image into a photo program--I use any trialware and freeware, but usually use Adobe Photoshop's basic trialware--and use the CROP feature to hew away the blocked color from PAINT.

The results? Small pix sizes for speedy uploading and putting your gallery on a diet!

See my gallery for examples.
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 07:20 AM UTC
There are easier ways Fred....and with this way you should be able to make great pics around 30-60 Kb

Making pics smaller without a loss of quality

Vinnie
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 12:53 PM UTC
Hi Vinnie,

Thank you, that IS much easier. However, right now I don't have their full program. I will try the cropping without the PAINT step.

_GOTOTOP