_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Humbrol matt cote thinner?
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
entire network: 1,208 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 12:03 PM UTC
Hi!
I've had some probs with that thing already as I started with ordinary humbrol enamel thiner so after airbrushing it was drying for a week and even after that time it would be easily dissolved with that thinner
On the humbrol container there is a note to use white spirit, not knowing what it may be I figured I'll buy ordynary 95% spirit in a grocery store... Just did it today It's kinda hard to mix with the cote but it does it's job way better than enamel thinner and the matt cote is dry within minutes Now there's the reason of this post: I've just read in an another post about acrylic thinner and there some people mention isopropanol alcohol So, is isopropanol a proper name for "white spirit" And where can I get it apart from buying tamiya acrylic thinner( where it is used other than in our beloved hobby?)

Thanks in advance for your answers and patience reading this longish post to the end

Cheers

Pedro
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 12:15 PM UTC
Hi Pedro.
I spray Humbrol flat cote and use humbrol enamel thinner. Flat cote should be the last stages of your model. No need to wash over it ... risks of gloss again? The only thing I add to flat cote is pastels .... and when wet is needed, I use isopropynol .... as this is an alcohol base ... not lacquer base. It is also known as rubbing alcohol and in Sweden can be bought from the pharmacy or bigger paint stockists.

Maybe your spraying the flat cote too heavily or too close. I mist it on and it appears to dry right away!

I dont use white spirit for spraying as some brands seperate from humbrol, meaning all the pigment goes to the bottomof the cup and clogs the brush. Humbrol enamel thinner works every time.

Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
entire network: 1,208 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 10:13 AM UTC
Thanks for reply Frank!

It seems tha this happened to me also with satin cote.
I checked the spirit and it dries and sprayes ok so I think I'll stick with it. Oversprayng of the spirit thinned cote results only in some shiny surface but dries as well fast

Cheers
Pedro
 _GOTOTOP