_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Casting resin
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 1,017 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 02:23 PM UTC
Will any two part resin work for casting. EnviroTex is what Im thinking of using.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 05:01 PM UTC
I do not know that brand but I must ask what is the manufacturers recommendations for this product?

If they say it is good for the type of casting you wish to do then you have your answer.

Some resins are only designed to be used in certain ways or for certain things so all you can do is read the manufacturers technical data to find out if it is suitable.

cheers
Cliff
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 769 Posts
KitMaker Network: 219 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 09:52 PM UTC
If you are trying to cast figures or parts, Envirotex will not work. (Okay, it will work but not very well). This stuff is only good for making water. Takes forever to dry, smells to high heaven and is VERY brittle. Check with Micro Mark. They make a great 2 part resin for casting.

Jesse
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2005 - 12:56 AM UTC
A lot of us use the Smooth On products. They have a staff that you can talk to and they will help to get the proper resin for what you want to do. It is not too expensive either and works great. http://www.smooth-on.com/products.htm
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2005 - 01:09 AM UTC
I have been using the products from a company called Vagabond Corpaoration for years. Their 36-XXX resin and their GI-1000 RTV rubber are great. I have had no problems at all. They sell small kits or huge quantities as well.

Here is their website: Vagabond Corp.

They don't sell directly off their website, but their phone number is there.
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
entire network: 761 Posts
KitMaker Network: 262 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2005 - 03:52 AM UTC
I use a product from alumilite. It is not the stuff they usually advertise in magazines, but come in smaller bottles (7oz). It is much better than the former and actually flows like water. Can be found at Hobby Lobby.
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 1,017 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2005 - 01:51 PM UTC
Thanks, I had some of this on hand thought I would try to use it. I want be casting much I really would only need half of the stuff micro mart has Im afraid it would ruin before I used it all.
 _GOTOTOP