_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
scratchbuilding furniture
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 09:28 AM UTC
Hello !

I'm very soon going to begin a dio that takes place inside a house in WWII. So I'm going to need furniture, and I'm in the mood to scratchbuild it !
There's going to be drawers, picture frames, table, chair, bed...
Does anyone have councels... techniques... or any info to share ?
DaveMan
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 137 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 03:40 PM UTC
Hi,
The best way I have found, is to get some books from the library, with pictures ofthe type of furniture I want. Then I measure my own stuff, ,and work from there. I used actual woodworking books, borrowed from my father, and used the same patterns. I reduced them to 1/25 scale, and went from there. (My dio was in automotive scale) remember, scratchbuilding is pretty easy when you break everything down to its simplest shapes. I got a "Most humorous" award with my dio, and I don't think it had to do with how funny all of the furniture looked, so I figure I did okay. I built mine out of styrene, and some metal, and then painted it to resemble wood. Real wood gets tricky to work with in those scales. If I had to work in wood, I would use a tight grained wood, like Basswood, or Jelutong. Then I would dye and polish to finish it.

Good Luck,

Dave
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 11:12 PM UTC
Micromark Sells mouldings and stuff meant for Dollhouses.
Go & brave a dollhouse section of the hobby/craft store.

Matt
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 11:56 PM UTC
Most of the furniture in my home comes from IKEA or equivelent, so i know what is needed to make wardrobes, drawers, tables etc, etc. That part is the easy part.
I bought lots of different sizes and shapes of balsa wood and little items from a hobby store, but as Dave said, woodwork on a small scale aint easy. I think its time to invest in some plastic card and strip.
I have built some pews and small tables for my church ruins and have mixed thoughts on it. I am wondering if its worth it to try again in plastic.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 12:00 AM UTC
I tried to make those from wood (balsa) in the past, but in a small scale like 1/35, styrene looks a lot more real. Get a sharp blade and a metal ruler, and you're up and running.
Please note : Ikea furniture is more easy to make than the average Louis IV cabinet.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 02:09 AM UTC
All great pointers.
I am doing the same right now. I am employing all those ideas. Measuring my furniture and scaling down. Taking plans from wood working mags. and scaling down. Using all kinds of meduims.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 02:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Please note : Ikea furniture is more easy to make than the average Louis IV cabinet.

Really?? #:-)

I would say its safe to say, in the early 40s more city and country houses had pretty average square type furniture than they had crafted furniture of that type. So with the simple IKEA type set up, scaled down of course, it shouldnt be too difficult to make some realistic type pieces. That is what I meant!
Have you any tips on making Louis IV cabinets General? I think IŽll only build peasant houses!
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 07:43 AM UTC
HA ! The only way to make a decent Louis XIV cabinet, is to make one in a ruined house. After the ceiling went down on it, it may just as well be an IKEA cupboard that went FUBAR !
(if you want to scratchbuild a REAL Louis XIV, you better reschedule your holiday planning with a few extra weeks !)

yellobelli
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 45 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 08:25 AM UTC
Hirst Arts has a decent mold for making wooden planks out of plaster or resin. While the mold is a bit pricey ($29), it can be used to make wooden floorboards, planks, and (if two pieces are glued back to back, beams.

If one was making some rough hewn furniture, as might be found in a cottage community, this could be a good source for ideas. Below is a link to suggestions from Bruce Hirst on ways one might use the mold: Small Cottage, Hangman's Gallows and a Guillotine.

http://www.hirstarts.com/plank/plank.html

I'm thinking about maybe using it to make the roof joists/beams for my project.

Just a suggestion, go with what works for you.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 10:23 AM UTC
If you want wooden beams, why not use small wooden beams such as bass wood. It comes in many sizes and dimensions. Look for it at hobby shops around the R/C aircraft area. If you want it to look like wood, then use wood!!
 _GOTOTOP