_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Quick paint question
Leo2A6
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
entire network: 24 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 05:18 PM UTC
I cant seem to find anything else on this, so does anyone know what the field colour of German vehicles was at the opening of barbarossa? I was thinking of mixing a little olive drab in grey as i thought they used a greenish grey paint scheme (mostly grey). Any hints or tips would help and i'm using testors' enamel paints.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 12:36 AM UTC
At the time of Barbarossa June, 1941, german equipment was painted overall Dark Gray. In winter white waterbased paint and other supplies were used to camo the vehicles in the snow..

also due to heavy losses on the eastern front equipment finished in tropical colors (yellow brown/gray green or brown/gray) intended for Africa was instead shipped to Russia.

3 color camo using dark yellow, olive green and red brown came into general use around feb 1943 and was used though the rest of the war.......

(info from various parts of Panzer colors I)
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 12:50 AM UTC
Delbert is right on the money Dark Grey until Feb 43. I have seen some green camo over the dark grey used, as well as yellow vertical stripes, but these were after the opening stages of Barbarossa. I cannot help you with Testors, but The Grey, unweathered, is VERY dark, almost black. I use either Tamiya XF-63, or Vallejo Black Grey as my base coat, then lighten it as I post shade.

HTH.
 _GOTOTOP