_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
What modelling books to buy??
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
entire network: 1,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 04:52 AM UTC
What books on techniques and modelling do you see as "most necessary " to include in a "modelling library"? I want to order a couple and want to know wich are the best to buy.

Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 05:04 AM UTC
Hi Erik,
Try "How To Build Dioramas", by Shep Paine ( 2nd edtion is the newest). Cover all the basics Aircraft, Armor, Ship, Figures as well as Buildings and Dioramas. $25.00US
Decent book, will get you going in the right direction.

Bruce
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 07:22 AM UTC
Ola Erik

Books of which I think are unmissable in any modeling Library are:
Shep Paine`s How to Built Diorama`s (as was already pointed out by Slug
Shep Paine`s Modeling Tanks and Military Vehicles
Richard Windrows Terrain Modelling (Osprey Modelling Masterclass)
Verlinden has a bunch of Diorama books.
Last week I also bought Evergreens Working with Styrene for Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing. I have a couple of more books about Vehicle Conversions From I believe Fine Scale Modeler. And It is always handy to look for books that fit the Subject you built. If you only built shermans it is good to buy every book about shermans you can find. Same goes with any other subject of course. I always love to buy the Waffen Arsenals or the Books from Schiffer Publishing as you can find true gems of pictures in it.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 08:31 AM UTC
You might also find a subscription to Fine Scale modeling useful. They teach a lot of basic techniques with good photo's. Kalmbach books (Their publisher) also has several basic books that can teach you a ton of useful skills and has speciific books geared to the modeling subject
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 11:27 AM UTC
For a newcomer to the hobby, or someone returning to the hobby, after a several year layoff, I would recommend all the above books.
Once you decide an area in concentration and specialty, there are many more aimed at those interest. But establishing a firm foundation first is most important. One I like is Ospreys Modeling WWII Soft-skin Military Vehicles. Well written, full of hints and tips, if soft-skins are an area of interest to you.

I'd also recommend going through, and reading the articles here at Armorama. You will find a gold mine of information, and maybe even save yourself a few dollars.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 01:22 PM UTC
The Shep Paine books are must have's, they're really worth it. Here's a couple more to check out.

I just picked up a couple of FSM's books a couple of weeks ago and find them very useful.

How to build armor dioramas by Lynn Kessler http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0890243794/qid=1123982128/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-6965133-4786245?v=glance&s=books

How to paint realistic military figures http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0890243808/qid=1123982153/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-6965133-4786245?v=glance&s=books

Both of these give great step by step instructions plus directions, very useful and informative for the newcomer and intermediate modeler. I've just been building a year and found these great resources.

Another excellent one for figure painting is: Getting started painting diorama figures in acrylics that was reviewed here by Jimbrae. http://armorama.com/review/408
This book is excellent in that he not only goes over how to paint but he goes through the mixes, paints and steps for painting in acrylics. The FSM one covers both acrylics and oils and gives mix ratios but isn't as targetted as this one is, although still a very fine book IMO.
 _GOTOTOP